Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 operating systems  (Read 2665 times)

dl65

Topic Starter
  • R.I.P.

• Prodigy

2 operating systems
    « on: December 22, 2004, 09:51:46 AM »
    Have a minor problem with our sons pc.........he has fouled something up and I may have to format and reinstall win XP pro .......but before I did I wondered about pulling the hd Drive from his pc and putting it into one of my pcs as a slave.........and then possibly be able to fix whatever he fouled up.
    My question is .....if I do that ...will my pc boot up ok , given it has win XP Home on it and the hd drive from his pc ( which wont fully boot ) has XP Pro on it . I ask because I dont know if it will or not .

please let me know what you think ....

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2004, 09:52:25 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

robertmillar

Re: 2 operating systems
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »
    It will boot ok.

Don't forget to set the correct jumper settings.  Once you have fixed his problem you can test it by changing your BIOS settings to boot from the slave.

merlin_2

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 02:07:14 AM »
    i would run a hardrive check using the makers diagnostic disk... > or if you have a copy of norton system works or can borrow a copy....> run win doctor >or try a repair>http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm   and leave it where it is???if it will not fully boot......it may do the same on your pc..? footnote you could also be transfering a trojan/virus to your pc?
    « Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 02:10:46 AM by merlin_2 »

dl65

Topic Starter
    • R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 01:12:26 PM »
      Thanks for the resposes guys.......I slaved his drive to one of my machines..... was able to get into it ok ......he must have deleted ..........part of his O/S .......I pulled off anything important ......did a format and a clean install.
      All is now back to normal........

Have a very MERRY CHTRISTMAS

Cheers

dl65 ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.