Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 21" Dell P1110 CRT monitor: blank screen & smelled smoke  (Read 2657 times)

iwc123

21" Dell P1110 CRT monitor: blank screen & smelled smoke
« on: March 09, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
FYI, I checked the FAQs and did a search here for info on this problem, but didn't come up with anthing specific to this problem.  So, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the following?

I have a Dell P1110 21" CRT monitor.  It was built in August, 2000, but I bought it in January of 2002.  It has been in use most days since then.  I have had a few problems with it in the past 2 years: horizontal lines (slightly diagonal)-- varies anywhere from 5 to 10 on screen.  Also, a year or so ago, the screen would get fuzzy once in a while (happened over a period of 3-4 months).  I would turn off the monitor, then back on, and it would be fine.

PROBLEM:  Here's what happened the other day:  I was using my PC (everything was fine) and all of a sudden, the screen went blank.  There were a few soft "pop" sounds and then about 20-30 seconds later, I smelled smoke coming from inside the monitor casing.  I then turned off the monitor and shut down my PC (with the off button on my keyboard).  I waited a couple minutes, then tried to start my PC.  The monitor powered on and the PC seemed to be going through it's bootup routine normally, but nothing appeared on the screen.  The monitor did not "click on" during the bootup like it normally would.

TROUBLESHOOTING:  I disconnected the monitor and connected a different monitor (17" Amptron CS17 CRT) using the same power cord, but a different 15-pin VGA connector cord (fixed cord to the Amptron monitor).  The PC operates just fine now and there are no horizontal lines on the screen (this tells me that it wasn't electrical interference nor an issue with the PC, but an issue with the Dell P1110 itself).

QUESTION:  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Is this Dell P1110 monitor dead or can it be fixed?

My thanks in advance for any help!

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: 21" Dell P1110 CRT monitor: blank screen & smelled smoke
    « Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »
    If you could even find someone who fixes these, it would probably cost you as much to get it repaired as it would to buy a new one.  And keep in mind that a 19" flat screen has the same viewing area as a 21" CRT, and the price on those these days is very low, relatively speaking.

I don't know what the history is on the monitor itself, but for god's sake don't plug it in again. It's a goner at best, and a fire hazard at worst.

There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

sniffynose

Rookie

Re: 21" Dell P1110 CRT monitor: blank screen & smelled smoke
      « Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »
      QUESTION:  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Is this Dell P1110 monitor dead or can it be fixed?

I cooked a crt monitor a few years back. They are not worth even getting looked at