Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: LG super multi DVD won't see DVD in drive  (Read 4126 times)

jlapolla

LG super multi DVD won't see DVD in drive
« on: December 01, 2007, 10:53:33 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to get a new LG super multi DVD to work, but it will not recognize a DVD in the drive.

Running WinXP Home, SP2 in a custom built P4 2.0 GHz, ASUS P4 board, 1GB RAM. Using board's integral video.

All Windows updates are up to date. Video and Audio Drivers have been updated to most current I can find. System seems to be clean (now) and running OK.

Installed software from supplied LG CD. PowerDVD, and PowerProducer.

DVD is on secondary IDE as a Master [Drive D: ], jumper is set to Master.  Also replaced 40 conductor IDE cable with an 80 conductor cable.

Hardware Manager says the drive is operating OK, with no errors.
IDE properties are set to DMA, dialog box shows DMA 4.

The drive runs, and will play a music CD just fine through the PowerDVD program.

When I put in a known good (bought & tested) DVD it its says "No Disk in Drive D:"

Suggestions?

thanks,
John

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: LG super multi DVD won't see DVD in drive
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 12:09:29 PM »
Does music CD automatically open in PowerDVD?

its says "No Disk in Drive D:"
What does it say that? Windows, or PowerDVD?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »
How is the OTHER drive jumpered? Does it show correctly in Device Manager?

If the other is set to Slave, then I would leave it disconnected and try to run with just the new drive and see what happens. Is it new to you or new altogether? Do you still have the receipt? Sometimes there are duds.

Let us know.

GX1

jlapolla

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
I removed the CD-ROM drive from the IDE Cable, and now just have the DVD drive connected to the Master connector, and jumpered as a Master. Problem still persists.

The DVD is a brand new LD Multi drive.

PowerDVD says "No Disk in D:"  If I try to open it in Windows, it opens a the Drive D window, but it is empty.
thanks,
John

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
Is the drive seen in the BIOS? It appears that it needs to be returned at this point.

jlapolla

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 08:43:56 PM »
Yes, the BIOS shows the Drive as Secondary Drive 0.

Thanks for the info. It really is looking like a defective unit.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
It happens.

I hope you got it from a reputable seller that will give you a replacement/refund without a hassle.  ;)

jlapolla

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:15:31 PM »
I Just want to thank all those who offered help. I picked up a replacement drive today, dropped it in and everything worked fine right off the bat!

Can only chalk it up to (as GX1 said) it being a defective drive right from the box.

btw... I called LG Service twice on this, and can only say that I was VERY impressed. The computer products techs are a small group located in Huntsville, AL, USA. Three menu steps to get to them, answered on the second ring, helpful suggestions, and I'm pretty certain I would have gotten a replacement drive shipped to me if I hadn't opted to pick one up from Best Buy.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 08:50:59 AM »
Thanx for the follow up...it's always good to hear someone has a decent Support Staff.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "