Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't delete all of my address history...  (Read 3232 times)

latitude/d820

I can't delete all of my address history...
« on: December 02, 2007, 05:42:39 PM »
Hello, my little sister was on my laptop computer this holiday and she visited 2 sites that I cant remove from my address history. I've done "tools" "internet options" "delete cookies, files, offline content, and clear history" and yet they remain...I try deleting them manually but they don't show up on the C drive at all, the only thing there is a Index.DAT file...This is annoying and troublesome...the 2 sits were bleachexile.com and one particular page of a story on fanficion.net. I'm a college student and I use my computer for school and work its embarrassing when someone types in a address with the same starting letters and those address pop up...it makes me seem unprofessional and explaining is compacted.
Needles to say Anna will not be using my laptop for "just checking on email" again.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a latitude/ d820 and use internet explorer…

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: I can't delete all of my address history...
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 12:46:59 AM »
There is a specific index.dat file which accumulates the url's of every site visited when using IE.  This file is a Hidden System file which is protected whenever Windows is running so cannot be deleted using 'normal' methods.  However it can be deleted in Safe mode or better still by running CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/download  it's free but donation can be made.

While CCleaner cannot delete the index.dat file it will flag it for deletion, prior to Windows starting, on the next bootup.

Good luck
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

praspowt

Re: I can't delete all of my address history...
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:50:17 AM »
1. Start> Run
2, Type Regedit
3. Click OK
4. Double click at HKRY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Internet Explorer>TypedURLs
5.Right click at selected website
6. Select delete
7. Yes

http://computersdoctors.blogspot.com