Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are Drives Bad???  (Read 2416 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Are Drives Bad???
    « on: January 28, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
    I have a few differnt drives that are IDE after pluging in the IDE cable an removeing it.  A pin falled out of the drive where the IDE Cable plugs in.  This happened to three drives, are they bad?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Are Drives Bad???
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:44:21 AM »
    Yes.
    Use the same procedure on them that i suggested for the Maxtor...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »
      Could they be fixed? Should I just do the same thing?
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:22:45 AM »
        Can they be fixed????

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 04:37:43 AM »
          Not really.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »
          I have a few differnt drives that are IDE after pluging in the IDE cable an removeing it.  A pin falled out of the drive where the IDE Cable plugs in.  This happened to three drives, are they bad?
          So, the same pin fell out on three drives?  Hmm, that's quite strange and quite unlikely to happen.  Was this all with the same IDE cable?  I think I'd replace that cable. 

By the way, are you looking carefully at the connectors on the cable and the hard drive when you connect a cable to be sure you are trying to force the cable connector on upside down? 

Also, are being careful when removing a cable to not cause undue stress on the pins by pulling the cable straight off as nearly as possible?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
            I think it was.  ???  It was a while ago.  Yes, I use Mikes laws if it isn't going in easy.  I don't know??? Thought I was useing the same strenth I used to all ways get them off.