Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New video card and RAM install problem.  (Read 2406 times)

Isilwen

New video card and RAM install problem.
« on: December 05, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
Hi all, it's my first post on this forum.

I just bought a new video card, a Peak ATI Radeon X1950 Pro (Pci), Together with a 2gb DDR2 RAM Bank. 
First i tried to install the RAM, but i noticed that the "attachment" is not compatible with my motherboard. Maybe it's a new standard, but this new RAM bank has that little tiny "hole" right in the middle of it, while my already attached RAM has that little "hole" a little to the left. Thus, this RAM cannot physically be attached. All right, i inserted again my old RAM, and proceeded with the video card installation.
I removed my previous video card (an ATI X800) and inserted the new one.
However, my motherboard (an ASUS P5RD1-V) did not give any beep (usually, 1-beep = no problems) and the screen remained black. I tried to remove the video card and the RAM and i re-inserted them, but now my motherboard gives out a single beep (like always did, no problem here) and after a few seconds another one, short as the first one.
The screen remains pitch black.
I tried to re-insert the old video card and all goes well.

I tried to explain my problem to the best of my abilities, i hope it was clear enough for i am not an expert.

Can someone help me? :( It was my christmas present and i would like to make it work, if possible.

Thanks in advance :)

-Marco

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: New video card and RAM install problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 04:52:36 PM »
Are you sure the motherboard model you listed is correct? According to the website, that model accepts DDR2 RAM.

Also, that motherboard only has PCI Express, so your X800 was the PCI Express model and not the AGP model, is that correct?

Isilwen

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 02:35:04 AM »
i re-checked and my motherboard is indeed a P5RD1-VM. Dont know why my manual tells me P5RD1-V. Anyway i'm an idiot, i realized that my motherboard does not allow ddr2 ram. Oh well, my fault really.

Yeah, the X800 is a PCI, at least i'm sure my motherboard supports that.

I think i realized the problem though. I saw that my X1950 needs a second power supply, but i do not know how to.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
P5RD1-VM is actually from the same family as P5RD1-V, there are minor differences between the two, but overall they have the same specs.

The P5RD1-V and VM are almost the same, except for a few things.

Quote from: P5RD1-V
-Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
- ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Northbridge
- Dual-Channel DDR400/333
- High Definition Audio
- Serial ATA RAID
- AI NOS
- AI NET2

Quote from: P5RD1-VM
- Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU
- ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Northbridge
- PCI Express Architecture
- Serial ATA RAID
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS2

Oddly enough, I'm sure I read before that it takes DDR2, but looking again at the VM model, it says:
2 x 184-pin DIMM sockets support max. 2 GB DDR 400/333 non-ECC memory

I think I was looking at the P5RD2-VM. Sorry about that.