Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Keyboard responding incorrectly  (Read 4517 times)

Kathleen_Swat

Keyboard responding incorrectly
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:40:13 PM »
A couple days ago I noticed while in coral wordperfect that my keyboard wasn't responding correctly. It was acting as if the ctrl key was pressed down. IE: I'd press the 'g' key and suddenly the 'go to' box would pop up, 'f' key would bring up the 'find and replace' box ect ect. As well as the insert key wasn't working. Thinking that maybe it was just being finicky I closed it and then opened up my documents and then brought up the sub folder that contains my writing and for some reason it came up in a new window (I checked folder options, and it should all be in one window instead of multiple ones.) After I opened up a new word document and then minimized it to the tray I couldn't bring it back up, instead of getting the restore thing when I right-clicked on it, it brought up the list with the cascade option.

I checked to make sure my keyboard was the correct one, reinstalled the driver, no good. I'm getting a little nervous because it has all my writing on it, I'm sure I can save it but I'm one of those technologically incompetant sorts and if it's broken I don't want to touch it and make it worse!

Um, I don't really know a lot about my computer. It's running windows XP, the keyboard is one of those economic carpal tunnel jobs made by microsoft.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, I live in a small town and the nearest computer store is god only knows how many miles away so I'm going to have to try to fix it myself!

Oh oh, I should also mention that I tried another new keyboard instead of my current one but the problem persisted... Which I guess could mean it's not just the keyboard, thus making this thread titled inappropriately. I also don't know if it's in the right forum... I'm such an incompetant.

homer

Expert
    Re: Keyboard responding incorrectly
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 05:14:06 PM »
    hmmm, this other keyboard that you tried, did it work correctly as well, before this incident?

Kathleen_Swat

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 07:22:34 PM »
    It did, I tried it with the new computer and worked a-okay!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 07:32:58 PM »
    Those two keyboards are USB, or PS2?

Kathleen_Swat

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »
    One is USB the one one that I've been using (the economical nonsense one) is I guess PS2, it's got a litte round purple end that goes into the round purple socket.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
      it may be a virus. you may wish to do a system scan for viruses and for spyware. from what you are telling us, it does not seem to be a hardware problem.

Broni

Mastermind
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 08:02:30 PM »
      may be right.
      What security tools do you use? What Windows version?

Kathleen_Swat

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »
      It's Windows XP. I don't have any virus program right now (mostly because it's not hooked up to the internet.  :-[ ) I wasn't aware you could get a virus if you don't have the internet hooked up.

homer

Expert
        « Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 08:39:17 PM »
        you dont have internet on that machine? has it ever been exposed to the internet? have files downloaded from the internet been installed or copied to this computer?

Kathleen_Swat

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »
        It's not exposed to internet, and I do sometimes transfer files from my laptop but I always virus and spyware scan first... mostly because I was trying to avoid this mess! XD

homer

Expert
          « Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 08:45:40 PM »
          hmm that is very odd then. i recommend trying a system restore then, see if that solves the issue.

Kathleen_Swat

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2007, 08:48:07 PM »
          Couple questions.... 1) How do I do a system restore? and 2) Will it cause me to lose any of my writing? I know, dumb questions!  :-[ I just need to be certain!

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          « Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 08:51:14 PM »
          Will it cause me to lose any of my writing?
          No.

homer

Expert
            « Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »
            let me answer those questions in reverse...

2. no
            1. start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore
             set it to an earlier date when you did not have this problem.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 08:53:12 PM »
            1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

2. On the Welcome screen, click Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

3. On the Select a Restore Point page, select the date from the calendar that shows the point you'd like to restore to, as shown in Figure 2, and then click Next.

4. On the Confirm Restore Point Selection page, verify that the correct restore point is chosen, and then close any open programs.

5. Click Next if you are ready to proceed or click Back to change the restore point.

6. The computer will shut down automatically and reboot. On reboot, you'll see the Restoration Complete page, and then click OK.