Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop in Italy shows wireless connection, but no web pages can be viewed  (Read 3728 times)

gregtoon

Topic Starter

My wife bought a Compaq Laptop just before heading to Italy last week to go see our grandson at Aviano AFB, Italy.  She is in a house with wireless router and shows to have full strenght connection to the server, but says IE won't show any webpage just like she has no connection.  It worked at our house with same set up in USA before she left.  I think it has IE6 on it but not sure.  Communication with her is limited to one call a day and I know it must just be a setting somewhere, not sure if it has to do with her being international or not.  Any suggestions?????

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Laptop in Italy shows wireless connection, but no web pages can be viewed
    « Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 07:17:32 PM »
    Ask her to connect her laptop straight to the modem.

gregtoon

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 08:59:43 PM »
      Will do.  Guess that will prove whether she really as a connection or not. This has me baffled because it tells her she has a strong connection to the wireless in the house.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Will post result tomrrow.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 07:12:35 AM »
      The strong connection icon shows she has a good signal between the laptop and the wireless router...not neccessarily anything past the router.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Astoria

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »
        maybe the problem is the security key, this may have been set up to your home network.

It is possible for a wireless laptop to connect to a wireless network, but if you don't provide the security key, you won't be able to get through the router, and not to the internet.

What she is seeing is an excellent wireless connection to the router. Doesn't mean she'll be able to get on the internet.