Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WOLF 3D  (Read 6991 times)

ianbell

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
    WOLF 3D
    « on: December 08, 2007, 05:34:22 PM »
    I'm a real fan on the old Wolf 3d DOS game since I had it on my first computer BW [before windows] for the kids.  I have downloaded the game and tried to run it on my w98se system with a PIII all-in-one motherboard with PCI components.  Thing is I can't get the digital sound to load and playing the game with only the computer speaker is no fun!  Anyone have a fix for this?
    REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: WOLF 3D
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 07:23:37 PM »
    I'm not a gamer, but I truly loved that game, and I'm positive, it worked fine on my Win 98 computer.
    Possible solutions:
    http://www.3drealms.com/tech/wolf3d.html

Sound Blaster is at Interrupt 10

The problem that you are having with Wolfenstein 3D is that you have your sound card set at interrupt (IRQ) 10, which is not supported by Wolfenstein 3D. To run Wolfenstein 3D, you will need to either change the interrupt on your sound card to an interrupt less than eight, or you can start Wolfenstein 3D with some command line parameters. To run Wolfenstein 3D using the command line parameters, all that you need to do is when you type in the command WOLF3D add a space and type NOAL NOSB (i.e. WOLF3D NOAL NOSB). Please note that if you choose to start Wolfenstein 3D using the command line parameters above, you will not be able to receive sound through your sound card. To change the interrupt of your sound card, please consult your sound card manual.

When Wolf3D came out, games didn't use sound IRQ's higher than 7.

General Sound Issues

The problem that you are having is most likely due to not having the SET BLASTER command in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file. To add this line, follow the steps below.

First, if you have a sound card be sure that your sound card is not set at IRQ 10 (interrupt 10). If you do have a sound card on your computer you will also need to add a line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file found in the root directory (C:\) of your hard drive. What you add depends upon how you have your card configured. Below is a table of configuration options that should solve your problem.

SET BLASTER=Ax Iy D1 Tz

Where: w= Address which Card is configured to. Usually 220.

x=Interrupt #. Usually 7 or 5

y=DMA channel. 0,1,3 Usually 1

z=Type of Card.
    1 for Sound Blaster version 1.0 or 1.5 and compatibles
    3 for Sound Blaster version 2.0 or compatibles
    2 for Sound Blaster Pro or Pro Compatibles with the SPC-2 chip.
    4 for Sound Blaster Pro or Pro Compatibles with the SPC-3 chip.
    5 for Sound Blaster 16 6 for Sound Blaster 16 ASP

If you are still having trouble, and you have a Sound Blaster Pro, Sound Blaster 16, or similar card, try turning the volume level of the Line and Mic all of the way down, as it is possible that you are picking up interference.

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:15 AM »
    A lot of old DOS games won't work properly in Windows, especially when it comes to sound.

However, DOSBox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net) is a nice little program that provides a better emulated DOS environment, as well as sound support, for older games and programs. It's the same program Sierra employed in their re-release of all the Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry games so they'd work in Windows.

DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X...

DOSBox also emulates CPU:286/386 realmode/protected mode, Directory FileSystem/XMS/EMS, Tandy/Hercules/CGA/EGA/VGA/VESA graphics, a SoundBlaster/Gravis Ultra Sound card for excellent sound compatibility with older games...

You can "re-live" the good old days with the help of DOSBox, it can run plenty of the old classics that don't run on your new computer!

DOSBox is totally free of charge and OpenSource.

ianbell

Topic Starter

Beginner

• I THINK I'M TOO OLD FOR THIS SH*T
      « Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 02:47:28 PM »
      Thanks for the responses - the Command Line thing only opens the program with no sound at all!
      I downloaded and installed 'Dosbox' and got as far as the phantom 'c' drive with no problems but the sound is worse than none at all - stuttering and choppy - they have a bunch of instructions about resetting autoexec and config but I can't seem to open any of these is the phanton drive as cd commands don't seem to work - even If I could open them the instructions assume that one knows what to do with DOS commands and I have minimal expertise. 
      From what I can tell my sound card seems to be set at - IRQ 05 -Shared CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
       the only things listed under IRQ10 are'Ali PCI to USB open host controller' and 'IRQ holder for PCI steering'.
      I am definately not comfortable with playing around in IRQ settings due to possible conflicts?
      REALITY IS A POOR ILLUSION FOSTERED  BY A LACK OF GOOD ALCOHOL - HIC!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 02:51:55 PM »
      What about modifying "autoexec.bat"?