Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR is missing after Win XP Pro reinstall.  (Read 5349 times)

befree

NTLDR is missing after Win XP Pro reinstall.
« on: December 08, 2007, 09:22:56 PM »
Hi Friends,

I recently "updated" my intel driver for the 80201 chipset. I downloaded the Intel util to tell me what chipset I had, and it said the 845 chipset (for my Dell desktop). After the install, it wouldn't reboot - even to safe mode. It got to the "Windows" loading page and the progress bar just kept scrolling. I did a 'repair' of the OS and then booting got me "NTLDR is missing'. I checked all the forums here and tried several of the suggestions, but no help. NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM are both in the rood dir. I tried FIXBOOT but no help.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

kuszmania9999

Adviser

• citizenship
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: NTLDR is missing after Win XP Pro reinstall.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:24:44 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 11:57:02 PM by kuszmania9999 »

Eniac1o1

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 06:11:26 PM »
The only solution that I have found is to reinstall Windows.

It sounds really painful but after running setup a few times you'll get used to it.

All I like to do is format and reinstall OS's on old harddrives ;D

programming_pat

Apprentice

• I like Rabbits and Guinea pigs
    « Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 04:40:38 PM »
    is there a disk in your floppy disk drv?

spiderlucci

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 08:36:02 PM »
    I'm not sure what info you check but, here.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

GoodLuck!
    spider

befree

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
    Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes, I already tried all the ideas at
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm and no avail, I still get "ntldr is missing". This happened after I tried a windows "repair" since I didn't want to reinstall all my applications.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

DonkyCong

Rookie
      « Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 04:00:35 AM »
      Get your Windows XP CD CD and boot to it, when you get to the Setup Screen, press R to go into Repair mode.
      After this has loaded, select the drive you have Windows installed on, by default this is usually '1'.
      Type in your Administrator password (if any)
      Now you want to replace your missing or corrupt bootloader, type in these commands where "X:\" is the letter of your CD Drive
      Code: [Select]
      COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
      COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:
      After the files have been copied type in FIXMBR, when it asks you what to do, press Y then enter.
      Type EXIT and remove the XP CD from the drive, Windows should now load.
      because "K" is boring...

pcfac1001

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 05:00:56 PM »
      Get your Windows XP CD CD and boot to it, when you get to the Setup Screen, press R to go into Repair mode.
      After this has loaded, select the drive you have Windows installed on, by default this is usually '1'.
      Now you want to replace your missing or corrupt bootloader, type in these commands where "X:\" is the letter of your CD Drive
      After the files have been copied type in FIXMBR, when it asks you what to do, press Y then enter.

OK HOW ABOUT THIS.. 

since i already reformated my comp a few times, and updated the pc bios for my dell 280gx , it will no loger take its own restore disk..... or any purchased copy of windows xp. tried this 2 times..
      sounds like a problem, in not done yet.... ok it began on yahoo chat chatting about computers .
      someone shot my comp woth a booter , since my computer wont take the boot code and the only thing that will fix the problem is just to replace the hard drive.. man i cant stand noobs.. lol
      problem solved after you use the new hard drives set up program that cam on the cd... thanks.

ok now i ask is there really a way to save that hard drive? you might want to talk to the hard drive manufacture.. for instance western digital.. just read the model number and tell customer service what the problem is.. if they cant solve the problem contact MICROSOFT AND TELL THEM WHAT THE PROBLEM.. TELL THEM BILL GATES SENT YOU!! LOL

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
        pcfac1001 your post makes no sense. Are you trying to help befree or are you asking for support yourself? Either way you will need to write coherent sentences in order to get understood. Furthermore if you're looking for support, please start your own thread.

ok now i ask is there really a way to save that hard drive? you might want to talk to the hard drive manufacture.. for instance western digital..
        We're not even close to determining that the drive is defective at this point. And befree haven't told us what brand the hard drive is, so why are you suggesting he talks to WD?
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

befree

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 07:55:32 PM »
        LOL!

It's a new drive and the drive is fine. The NTLDR problem happened when I did a "repair" after booting to the CD.

befree

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
        DonkyDood,
        Thanks for the idea. I did do the "repair" a few times initially. I looked on the C: drive to see if NTLDR and NTDETECT were there and they were, so I didn't replace them. Do you think that might do it? I also invoked "FIXMBR" but it said that I'd lose my partition structure and I thought that might screw with my installed programmes. What do you think?
        Befree