Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cleaning Your Computer, and Electricity  (Read 2924 times)

aziangamer

Topic Starter

Rookie

Cleaning Your Computer, and Electricity
    « on: December 10, 2007, 01:38:07 PM »
    I cleaning my computer soon, and I need to know what dangers I should watch out for most notably the dangers of frying my own computer because of the electricity in my body or some sort.

Are there any precautions I  could take before handeling some of my computer parts, an cleaning them.
    My name is David S Kim I'm 14, and I"M A CHRISTIAN.

I love computers, and I'm a MASTER at CSS 
    If you have any problems, and want to ask me for help My aim is on the left side.

myspace: www.myspace.com/aziangamer11
    God Bless!!!

Nastidon

Re: Cleaning Your Computer, and Electricity
    « Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 02:04:24 PM »
    Stay grounded, static electricity is not your friend when dealing with computers in any manner, anytime you touch any component of your computer, be double sure to ground yourself by touching something like a piece of metal to discharge any static electricity you may have generated.

Chrisxs5

Hopeful
    • Sup!?
      • Where we learn IT daily!
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 02:15:46 PM »
    Just curious what tools/cleaners you plan on using?
    Check out my blog: http://vitrookie.com

System, Network, Virtualization, Storage, ETC Admin with a bunch of certs and an ego trip!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
    Hopefully not a vaccuum...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

homer

Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 05:26:38 PM »
      I cleaning my computer soon, and I need to know what dangers I should watch out for most notably the dangers of frying my own computer because of the electricity in my body or some sort.

Are there any precautions I  could take before handeling some of my computer parts, an cleaning them.

as previously stated, you should ground yourself before handling any components (you can ground yourself by touching the computer chassis when its still plugged in, but not powered on.) i honestly dont worry too much about static electricity as most static-sensitive components are shielded. if you are planning on removing components, it is wise to handle them by grabbing the side edges, kind of how one would handle a CD.

for dusting the computer, use compressed air, and NOT a vaccuum just as patio stated.

an added note, if you are removing cables, make sure that you label them so you can hook them up correctly when you put it back together.

aziangamer

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:48 PM »
        I am for sure not using a vaccuum I'm not that bad with computers, however I will be removing some parts. My floor is a hardwood flooring. Would there be any electricity conducted by my foot while I walk on my floor.
        My name is David S Kim I'm 14, and I"M A CHRISTIAN.

I love computers, and I'm a MASTER at CSS 
        If you have any problems, and want to ask me for help My aim is on the left side.

myspace: www.myspace.com/aziangamer11
        God Bless!!!

homer

Expert
          « Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
          you are worrying way too much about static electricity. you will not fry a component just by touching it. as i stated before, most static sensitive parts are shielded.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:36 AM »
            Do not remove the CPU Central Processing Unit.  They can cost about 80 dollars for a new one.  Make sure if you unplug something to take not where it was pluged into and which way it went
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
              « Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 04:21:24 PM »
              Do not remove the CPU Central Processing Unit.  They can cost about 80 dollars for a new one.  Make sure if you unplug something to take not where it was pluged into and which way it went

he does not need to remove the CPU unless he is replacing it, also, they can cost anywheres from $5 to $1000.