Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: iPod Shuffle question/problem  (Read 7137 times)

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    iPod Shuffle question/problem
    « on: December 11, 2007, 10:08:13 AM »
    I know nothing about iPods or iTunes but someone just gave my wife an iPod Shuffle, so I'm trying to set it up for her to use.  I've had mp3 players in the past that were very simple to use, I just connected them by usb and then opened them as an external drive and dragged the songs I wanted into them.  However, when I try to do that with the iPod, it appears to work fine until I try to play the songs, at which point I get the green and orange flashing light for 2 seconds, which according to the instruction pamphlet (I hesitate to call it a manual because it barely tells you how to use the iPod, let alone trouble shoot) is an error meaning no songs are on it.  Do you absolutely HAVE to use iTunes in order to transfer mp3 files to an iPod?

Also, does using iTunes have any effect on mp3s I already have on my hard drive?  I have a very vague memory (which may be incorrect) of my brother once telling me that connecting an iPod full of songs to your computer would wipe out and override song files already present on your hard drive.  That sounds crazy to me, but still, is that a concern?  BTW, I'm running an Athlon 4600 with Windows XP SP2.   

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    Re: iPod Shuffle question/problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:11 PM »
    I have a very vague memory (which may be incorrect) of my brother once telling me that connecting an iPod full of songs to your computer would wipe out and override song files already present on your hard drive.
    Nonsense.

As for your other question, iPod Shuffle works in different way, then other iPods. You may need one of tools listed here:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=464522

roccenstein

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
      I got it straightened out.  I ended up downloading iTunes after all, reset the iPod, and then everything worked fine. 

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      « Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »
      Thank you for posting back 8) 8) 8)