Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: my AVG is stopping my internet connection  (Read 2505 times)

moon_eyes0713

my AVG is stopping my internet connection
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
i have a windows xp 64bit computer with AVG. i dont really know much about computers but one day i turned it on and our AVG box in the taskbar was black and grey. a popup came up that said we had red components and that the email scanner part of it was not fully functional. i thought maybe it needed an update or something so i connected to the internet (we have dial up, we use earthlink if you need that info) and tried to update it but it said there was no internet connection. now i know the internet connected because the phone line when i picked it up was making that annoying noise. my husband had downloaded something off limewire the night before that may have been a virus so i was thinking that has something to do with it. he has tried to fix it himself, at one point the computer wouldnt even recognize the modem, but he restored the computer and that fixed that. i dont know what else to do so i started googling today and found you guys. i hope you can help, and if you need any other information let me know and i will ask my hubby when he gets home from work. thanks alot!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: my AVG is stopping my internet connection
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:01:03 AM »
If you are hearing noise on the phone line the modem has not yet connected to anything...try waiting a bit longer and opening a browser window to make sure you are in fact connected before grabbing the updates.
The grey icon is normal for AVG...it indicates that it needs updated.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

moon_eyes0713

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 12:22:15 PM »
i have tried that, it says im not connected, i opened firefox, internet explorer, messenger, they all say i got no connection but i know i do because the 2 little computers are in the taskbar that show me connected, and when i pick up our house phone it makes that noise that it does when you're connected.

ChristPerson4

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 07:34:51 AM »
    Try going into Safe Mode(with internet) and see if you can get on the internet. If you can't, it may have something to do with your ISP.