Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to connect wireless  (Read 3532 times)

Derrick123

unable to connect wireless
« on: December 13, 2007, 05:48:06 AM »
My wife`s computer was working perfectly on our wireless network. then just stopped connecting. I have loaded Intel's own connection program so as to be able to try something other than windows zero config. The computer is an HP laptop running XP pro. all other laptops and the main PC can connect with bt home hub no problems, (4 computers have been tried). She is also able to connect with her works system. When I checked on the Intel program and run tests it stops at no association. I can see that it has detected the router as her computer it shows name and mac address of router. Is it possible that her computer is not sending information back to router. I tried setting router to only allow units using their mac addresses and it scanned but failed to find it. Anyone know possible reason why?? Also loaded latest drivers for wireless card.

Computer CPR

Beginner

• Computer CPR
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: unable to connect wireless
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:42 AM »
Are you using encryption on the wireless router?  If so, turn it off and turn off the mac filter.  Not a solution, but a test to narrow down the problem.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 09:38:48 AM »
Intel's own connection program
What is that?

You mentioned a hub and a router.  Exactly what hardware devices does your home network consist of?  What make and model is your router and/or hub?

Exactly how many of the computers you have there, besides the laptop in question, connect wirelessly?

Derrick123

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:05:27 AM »
Hi
Yes I have tried disabling encryption, leaving the network unprotected and set it to allow any device to connect. The wireless system is a BT home hub wireless router. All other laptops that we have tried connect OK once the network key is typed in. Also the main PC is able to connect both wired and wireless . In all 5 different computers are able to connect  without problem. As stated before this one was also perfectly OK up to a week or two ago. For some reason the hub/router dose not seem to be able to see the existence of this particular laptop now. Yet the laptop can see the hub/router as it lists its MAC address, its signal strength and channel number. We are not trying to connect any other computers at the same time so its not overloaded 

Computer CPR

Beginner

• Computer CPR
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Maybe I blinked, but is the make and model "BT"? or "home"? or "hub"?

Derrick123

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 11:18:06 AM »
Now resolved

I had to return the BT homehub to its factory default settings and let it find all the computers again. God knows what happened. just a glitch that will remain one of life's mysteries