Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not start (but appears to be minimally functional) [laptop]  (Read 2162 times)

mattz1010

Riiight. So, my computer's running and it's basically frozen. I hit start -> shut down...wait a good 3 hours. Come back. Hasn't loaded the screen to ask me.  I hit ctrl+alt+del, and the alternate menu shows up (as opposed to ctrl+alt+del opening task manager). I hit shut down there...nothing happens for another 3 hours.

I decide to unplug the power and wait for it to hibernate.

Becoming impatient, I tried to hold the switch for the power on the laptop, which didn't do anything, after 10 tries of about a minute of holding down the power button, each.

Then, I did something, in retrospect, which was really stupid. Pulled out the battery. Most likely, this did something...well, bad.

Computer won't turn back on now (not like it's more functional than before -_-). The battery light will light up to signify that it's charging the battery, and the light will light up at the back of the computer to show that it's connected to the network.

It's an Acer TravelMate 610TXVi
From what I can remember...specs are:
Pentium III - 768 MHz
256MB of RAM
Intel Graphics Card 80210 (the number I'm less sure on.)

Is there anything I can do, short of taking it apart/sending it in for repair?

I'd prefer not to send it in...as it contains... >_> embarrasing bits of data. I'm pretty sure you get the gist of it.