Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: gif images too slow  (Read 5328 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    gif images too slow
    « on: December 15, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »
    I've got an interesting dilemma I'm not sure how to fix. First off, I should mention that I don't remember how long I have this problem; I think it's related to my video card or the drivers thereof; I don't recall this being an issue on any other video cards. I don't think it's related to my connection speed: My 100Mbps connection is not a trifling slow connection.

Anyway, the problem is this: For some reason, all animated .gif images seem to download too slowly. This causes an issue, as when I am trying to view said gif, Firefox tries to display them anyway, and I am forced to watch them load, frame by frame, very slowly. It is very slow and jerky, then it plays normally once it's loaded every frame.

Thing is, it shouldn't take this long to load all the frames, because I am capable of loading any other format, including .bmp, very quickly.

So, I am posting this question in the Browsers forum for two reasons. The first is that I can't simply buy another video card at the moment, and I have the latest drivers. I was wondering if there was a method, in Firefox, to delay the animation of the animated gif until it has loaded, much like buffering on streaming movies.

Of course, if anyone knows an older set of drivers that work better with .gif images, let me know.

My specs, as they relate to graphics, processing speed and internet:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+
    Video: nVidia e-Geforce 7800
    Memory: 3 GB DDR
    Internet connection: Comcast cable (100Mbps)

Thanks in advance, guys. :)
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: gif images too slow
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 12:15:53 PM »
    First thing, I'd try is to create new profile, so all settings are gonna be set to default:
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      Re: gif images too slow
      « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 12:22:11 PM »
      Hold on, nevermind. It seems, on further investigation, that I did not have the latest drivers. A recent forceware update by nVidia corrected the problem. So... never mind, it's okay. Thanks, though. :)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."