Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive connection  (Read 1995 times)

quasiron

Hard drive connection
« on: December 14, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
Greetings:

Replaced my xp sata hard drive with a much larger sata drive. The original drive still contains the old OS and data, and I would like to add it as a “slave”  Since bios options seem to be only enable/disable, will the machine be confused as to which OS to load, and if so how would I approach this.  I would like to keep the old data intact. 

Thanks, Ron

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Hard drive connection
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 08:30:20 AM »
Check your MBoard to make sure the new one is on the SATA1 Header plug. The older one should be on SATA2.
At this time don't make any changes to the BIOS.
If you recieved a CD with the new drive put it in and re-boot...if not DLoad the utilities from the new drive manuf. site (Free) and use them to create a bootable CD.

After booting to the CD choose the "clone" option. Then simply follow the instructions to clone the old drive to the new one. Let it run to completion without interruptions.

Then remove the CD and power down.
Temporarily disconnect the old drive connector.
Re-boot and it should boot to the new HDD with all your Programs, OS and Data intact...run things like this for a day or so to make sure all programs etc. are working.
You can then re-connect the old drive and use the Disk Management tool in Windows and format it and use it for storage.

Any questions feel free to ask....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quasiron

Re: Hard drive connection
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 09:12:17 AM »
Thanks for the reply....   The new drive has been up and running 'couple of weeks....  I have not reformatted the old drive as I want to keep the existing files on that drive.

Ron