Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Randomly Turns Off  (Read 9191 times)

David K

Computer Randomly Turns Off
« on: December 29, 2004, 02:39:27 PM »
Recently my computer has started having problems, sometimes it has trouble booting up (it will get almost booted and then restart for no reason) and other times I will just be on my computer and have it click off suddenly. My power cable is connected and isn't loose, so it's not that. I'm not sure if it is the power supply or the fan (comp temp get to high and then click off) or some other problem I'm unaware of, but I would hate to have to replace everything before I found out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

merlin_2

Re: Computer Randomly Turns Off
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:56:01 PM »
boot to safe mode hold down the the f8 key on boot and then try this>>control panel/system/advanced/settings <startup / recovery>/system failure/uncheck the automatically restart feature  i take it its winxp??

David K

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 08:54:41 PM »
correct, it is winxp, i will give that a try, thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 10:50:03 PM »
    David K.....Are you certain you dont have a virus causing the problems ?  You do have a good updated anti virus installed dont you .

let us know
    dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 08:36:27 AM »
    Well, I just got over a similar problem.... Have you installed any new hardware lately?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

David K

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 02:00:03 PM »
    it could be a virus, but i have the new avg 7.0 antivirus, so i assume i'm clean. and yes, i have installed new hardware recently. i just got a new soundcard two weeks ago and a new video card a few months ago, i've had a second external hard drive for a while.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 02:29:53 PM »
    Sure sounds like hardware.  Is external hard drive powered from computer or does it have it's own power supply?  Could be new sound card.  Maybe computer power supply is pushed to the edge of its limits.

David K

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 03:15:07 PM »
    external has it's own supply, it's powered by cord, but i never thought about all this crap being too much for the power supply... are they difficult to install, i may look at getting a new one...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 03:45:31 PM »
    I had a computer do this.  It turned out to be an intermittent short on a hi-power sound card.  Power supplies are short circuit protected, so what looks like a power supply problem could be something else.  Put your old sound card and old video card back in and see if problem goes away.

David K

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 06:44:04 PM »
    well, i don't have the old video card anymore, but the old sound card is built into my computer. i checked out my power supply though and it is only 185 watt, which my friend said sounded kind of low, especially for the stuff i've hooked up.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 12:47:21 AM »
      well, i don't have the old video card anymore, but the old sound card is built into my computer. i checked out my power supply though and it is only 185 watt, which my friend said sounded kind of low, especially for the stuff i've hooked up.

By jove.......I think youv'e hit the nail on the head .
      .....185 watt sounds a wee bit small , especially if you have added hardware ......I'd be looking at about 350 watts.
      let us know how you make out .

dl65 ::)
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

compEngineer0

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2004, 09:05:05 AM »
      cool, thanks for all your help, i'm going to best buy today

compEngineer0

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2004, 11:14:26 AM »
      by the way, you don't think i could have damaged anything while running that low of a power supply do you? everything appeared like it was running normally

Pipo-X

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 11:38:31 AM »
      I think I have the same problem too... I have a 430W power supply and my computer worked fine before I instaled my new 200gig hard drive and my ATI RAdeon 256 ddr AGP... when I run too much programs, it sounds like it will reboot but no... it continues running (it does the SAME sound as when  the computer reboots ou shuts down) but slows everything and eventually will freeze the computer... that's waht I now have in my case with a 430W power supply:

2.8 ghz Intel Pentium 4 processeur
      ASUS P4P800 motherboard
      1 gig RAM Kingston 400 mhz DDR (2 x 512)
      ATI Radeon 9550 256 meg DDR AGP
      Creative sound blaster 5
      Western digital 120gig
      Western digital 200gig
      Maxtor 40 gig
      Floppy
      LG DVD writer super multi
      firewire card pinnacle
      430W power supply
      and 3 auxiliary fans on case

maybe it's my video card that's not compatible with the motherboard.... *censored* computers!!!

Pipo-X

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 12:16:15 PM »
      Also, when I boot, it never been so long to pass the drive detect. And I just remembered, the problem started with my DVD drive that could not be opened, had to push the reset button of the drive... I just want to be sure that it is the power supply before buying something else... because I changed the DVD drive thinking it was th eproblem and with the new one it continued... I unplugged a fan and those silly neon lights and the drive worked fine but problems continue to occured so I unplugged the 200 gig drive and the computer went better but still not working as supposed to... when I more than one program at a time it slows down or even freezes... with that weird sound that sounds like a reboot or shut down sound....I have a great computer acting as an old crappy 486 ;)
      « Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 12:19:10 PM by Pipo-X »

Pipo-X

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 12:23:53 PM »
      ok welll, I just lost contact with my 40 gig maxtor... someone told me these hd were  not good and causing problems...maybe that's the problem...I'll try to unplug it and see... I have such a hard time with computers.....

Dr Wahab

Intermediate
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 01:22:09 PM »
        Hello, how are  you? First of all try the suggestion of "merlin_2". I hope that will solve your problem otherwise if it doesn't then do the following:
        Uncover your CPU and turn your PC "ON". Check the CPU fan if it is working. If it does not, replace or repair it. If it is working properly then turn your PC "OFF" and take the CPU fan out with CARE. Remove the dust and clean it with pressured air. Next take out the PROCESSOR with high care. Be sure to open the lock or clip presend very close to the PROCESSOR slot. To open the lock, press the clip down, then little outward(opposite to the PROCESSOR) and then upward. After taking it out clean the dust from the PROCESSOR slot with presured air. After cleaning it. put the PROCESSOR again into its slot same as it was and then lock the clip in the same manner. Be sure to note the position of PROCESSOR before taking it out, if you are new to this operation. Then place the CPU fan and connect its power wire. Turn your PC "ON" and enjoy....
        I hope that it will solve your problem. Take care of you and others and be happy. Also try to make your room temperature normal for your PC.

De.wahab
        Bye... :)
        « Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 01:38:32 PM by de.wahab1 »
        do take care of you and others

Pipo-X

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 03:20:22 PM »
        Well, my CPU seems fine but when I unplugged my HD, one of my fans was resurected!!! PLus, when I rebooted, I had a disk check made by windows because there was a integrity problem with the HD... I went in windows, backuped my data on my other HD and unplugged the drive... but I still think that I need more power