Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: print spooler service is not running and right click problems  (Read 7716 times)

ahumanbeing

print spooler service is not running and right click problems
« on: December 15, 2007, 11:39:53 PM »
Hey,

Thanks in advance for time and help!!

About my computer: Dell, DIM 2400, 2.66 ghz , 384 ram, windows XP SP2, 50 GB, file system NTFS

Anyway, I cant print( to printer, pdf, or excel etc), add a printer, view server properties becuase there soemthing wrong with my printing spooler. dell pc tuneup was unable to fix it. I am not sure hwne this probelm started as i havent tried to print anything in a while but a few months ago i had a virus or some bug on my computer nad i tried  quite a few different programs to get rid of it. one of those mightve taken the spooling part with it.

also, not sure if it is related but i cannot right click on the c drive ( i wanted to do this to run a disk check and maybe that will help it...which is why im mentioning it here)

any suggestions?? Thanks again!

ahumanbeing

Re: print spooler service is not running and right click problems
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 04:14:16 PM »
is this an uncommon problem??

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
    « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 10:41:35 AM »
    have you installed the printer drivers, before attaching the printer? this is the best way with XP and Vista

another thing to check is look into, Control Panel, Administrative tools, Services, click the standard tab at the bottom, then the Name tab at the top, this will sort the list into alphabetical order, go down the list until you find Print Spooler, click on "Print Spooler" and set Start up type to "Automatic" then click ok.
    then close Services,  Administrative tools, and Control Panel. and try printing again.

Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.

ahumanbeing

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 11:05:55 PM »

Hey sorry for not responding..finals time came and swept me away...

Anyways- i cant add a printer or do anythign with the printer i have or the cd....it just won't work its wierd...

When i tried the second thing ( i think this is the main problem)

I tried ot start the print spooler and got this :
    "the dependency service or group failed to start"

Which is:
     LexBce Service and a sub-field of that is Remote Procedure Call(RPC) and theres another line again with Remote Procedure Call(RPC)

Any ideas on how to proceed? Thanks for the help...this thing is very wierd
    Mo

uesquebeathus

Intermediate
      « Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:44:42 AM »
       maybe a question I should have asked earlier is what printer are you trying to use?
       are you using a Lexmark printer ?
       have you used a Lexmark printer then installed a different manufacturers ?

In the services list you will also be able to see two items "Remote Procedure Call(RPC)" and "Remote Procedure(RPC)Locator"set both to automatic,
       The other item "LexBce Service" is part of the Lexmark printer driver instalation system, it should be in the list again set to automatic.

some drivers and software are a bit stubborn and leave bits behind Lexmark's bogy is this lot
      > lexpps.exe
      > lex2kusb.dll
      > lexbce.dll
      > lexbcs.exe
      > lexlmpm.dll
      > lexp2p32.dll
      > lexping.exe
      search for all of them in the registry and delete any keys that show up "please take care while doing anything to the registry as deleting the wrong items can cause troubles"

if the driver of say a Canon or HP printer is installed after a Lexmark and any of the above are left behind the new drivers will be unable to be fully installed.
        very often it happens  because the printer was connected to the computer before the drivers were installed, in XP and Vista the drivers should be installed first before the component is connected or attached.

download this product it is a utility which attempts to remove all Lexmark driver components
      from here, http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=229:1:0:95:0:0&os_group=Windows%20XP&target=
      any of the four shown should work but if you are unsure and if your printer is not shown search through the drivers for the correct printer and the uninstallation utility should be listed
      or here
      http://driverscollection.com/?file_id=23764

this webpage gives a list of the parts to be removed manually from the registry:-
      http://www.tallygenicom.uk.com/support/appnotes/installation_and_setup/anis911x902086b.htm
      Please give as much information regarding the Specification and components of your computer and a note about what you were doing when the problem arose and any other relevant thing that you think may help.