Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Issues or Motherboard Problems?  (Read 2552 times)

writtenonmyveins

Power Issues or Motherboard Problems?
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:45:09 PM »
Hiya,

I'm having a problem with my system lately and I'm wondering if anyone can give me some insight seeings as how I'm stumped.

It started the other day when I woke up and powered on my machine.  Nothing displayed on the screen except for "Check video cable, no video connection".  I checked the video card and the cables and it's all fine.

I decided to take my computer apart and clean out the case since I haven't done it in a while.  I pulled it apart, cleaned it all off and let it sit out overnight.  The next day I reassemble the basics, motherboard, one stick of RAM and video card and it all starts up fine (this is with the motherboard sitting on a workbench, properly grounded, not in the case).  I figure it was just dust or the video card not being seated properly and begin putting it all back together in the case. 

After I reassemble it I start the PC and the power comes on for half a second, then shuts off.  At this point I wonder if there's something in the case seated wrong that's causing a short or something, so I pull the motherboard back out and try it again outside the case with just a stick of RAM and the video card, but encounter the same power problem.  I again disassembled it all and left it out apart overnight.  This morning I tried the motherboard, one stick of RAM and video card outside of the case and it worked.  I tried reassembling it again and the same half a second then off problem.

I'm stumped as to what it could be.  I thought it might be something causing a short in the case at first, but then when I pull the mobo out of the case to try it I encounter the same problem.  I have a little money to buy replacement parts, but I'd like to be able to pinpoint the issue first. Could anyone give me some insight on to whether this sounds like a power supply or motherboard problem?  I figure it's one of the two.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

blunder

Rookie

Re: Power Issues or Motherboard Problems?
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »
    I have recently had the same problem and narrowed mine down to the Mobo, have you tried another PSU? I fyou have one sitting around or can get your hands on one i would try that first. My opinion anyways.

homer

Expert
      « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:48:23 PM »
      you say "with just a stick of RAM", can we assume you have more? if so, try placing a different stick of RAM in the comp, then pop out the BIOS battery, wait 30 seconds, then pop it back in and see if the problem persists.

writtenonmyveins

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:29:52 AM »
      you say "with just a stick of RAM", can we assume you have more? if so, try placing a different stick of RAM in the comp, then pop out the BIOS battery, wait 30 seconds, then pop it back in and see if the problem persists.

Yep, I have two.  I'll try swapping them around and see what happens.

I'm going to see if I can borrow another PSU from a friend to test a little as well.

Thanks to both of you for the help. =)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:49:18 AM »
      I suspect the PSU as well...make sure the one you borrow is the same or greater wattage else you won't find out much.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "