Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Only shows desktop picture  (Read 2105 times)

winter656

Only shows desktop picture
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:06:10 AM »
I recently downloaded IE7 onto my HP nx9010. There was an error message, sorry can't remember what the error was. The computer rebooted, and the only thing that came up was the desktop picture. No icons or start menu. Right clicking does not work. If I go into safe mode, I just get a black screen. The only thing I can open is taskmanager. Any ideas would be appreciated.

whitewolf36

Rookie
    Re: Only shows desktop picture
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »
    I don't mean to hijack your thread, no sense in double posting.  I'm having the same problem. When I get into taskmanager, anything I put in box doesn't work either. The task manager just disappears. I'm into safe mode at command prompt. I can get into documents and settings start menu programs but it wont let me use the command control panel. I put a desktop picture on, and that is my problem.

whitewolf36

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 09:06:27 AM »
      Bump. Anybody know what to do? I can get into congif.sys or autoexec.bat. Don't know what to do in there there. how can I get into the regedit from there, or the dos screen? When at dos command prompt, this is where I am:
      C:\Documents and settings\Karen
      I dont know what to do to get into my display to remove this wallpaper.
      Update: Now I can get into windows. I just don't know what the text is to get into either regedit or into control panel to remove the wallpaper. Come on, somebody please help!!!
      « Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:44:27 AM by whitewolf36 »

winter656

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 10:34:17 AM »
      guess i am off to the computer shop