Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Secret i want to find , HELP ME !  (Read 2790 times)

bahramkabiri

A Secret i want to find , HELP ME !
« on: December 19, 2007, 08:43:18 AM »
i had my hard disk partitioned last night and months ago , but when i do this , ( i mean after hard partitioning without any problems ) , again i see 8 Mb unpartitioned in the list , each time i do hard partitioning , i see this 8 Mb again and again !!!
i mean do u know what's this 8 Mb ??!
it seems nobody knows !!
what's the use of this 8 Mb that doesn't participate in partitioning ??
i don't really know !  ??? who can tell ?? help me with this quickly please ...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: A Secret i want to find , HELP ME !
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »
so did you partition with windows setup, diskmgmt, or fdisk, and also how big is the drive.

It might just be that whatever software you used (*cough* windows setup *cough*) excuse me, might only support partitions that are special multiples.

I wouldn't lose sleep over losing a mere 8MB of disk space, depending, of course, on your hard disk size.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 10:22:23 AM »
Probably a hidden partition containing the Drivers and the OS for the machine it shipped with...
Check your Owners Manual...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Deerpark

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:44:43 AM »
    It is actually a "feature". The XP setup reserves a little bit of space at the end of your disk in case you at some point decide you want to convert the disk to a dynamic disk. The article I've linked to below says it can reserve between 1-8 mb but I've never seen it be less than 8 mb.
    Here's a bit of reading on it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225822
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:48:24 PM »
      I suppose it for windows if the os needs more space it has a few,  I see that when I have to reinstall windows xp
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

bahramkabiri

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 03:00:56 AM »
      so did you partition with windows setup, diskmgmt, or fdisk, and also how big is the drive.

It might just be that whatever software you used (*cough* windows setup *cough*) excuse me, might only support partitions that are special multiples.

I wouldn't lose sleep over losing a mere 8MB of disk space, depending, of course, on your hard disk size.

about what u said and what i asked on that 8 Mb : my hard disk has 160 GB storage and please tell me the scientific reason that why this 8Mb created... what's the use of this 8 Mb can u say ? thanks for ur last reply

bahramkabiri

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 03:03:27 AM »
      Probably a hidden partition containing the Drivers and the OS for the machine it shipped with...
      Check your Owners Manual...

there should be a scientific reason for that 8Mb i'm sure ,, can u say what's that for ?
      thanks for ur last reply.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 04:40:18 AM »
        If you've bothered to read my last post you would have seen I've already given you two links directly from Microsoft that describe the how and why of that 8 mb partition.

It is actually a "feature". The XP setup reserves a little bit of space at the end of your disk in case you at some point decide you want to convert the disk to a dynamic disk. The article I've linked to below says it can reserve between 1-8 mb but I've never seen it be less than 8 mb.
        Here's a bit of reading on it:
        http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=225822
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)