Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: mysterious moving desktop icons  (Read 2659 times)

animecraze

mysterious moving desktop icons
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:38:13 PM »
    I have a problem with windows xp. The computer has multiple user accounts and each has their own desktop and there is an all users folder for the desktop.
    What ends up happening is when one user moves or deletes a shortcut from the all users group it dissapears from everyones desktop not just theirs. This doesn't seem right. Is there anything wrong or something that needs to be changed to stop this.

Astoria

Intermediate

Re: mysterious moving desktop icons
    « Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 06:09:59 PM »
    First of all, nothing's wrong  :D

If you open Windows Explorer, browse to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings.
    Here you see a couple folders:

-All users
    -Administrator

plus a folder for each user.

If you open your own folder, you'll see a folder Desktop there.
    All the icons for programs you use, are there (except the standard icons: My Computer, Internet Explorer, etc etc).
    Now when you look in the Desktop folder under your name, it may be empty. But you still have all kinds of icons on your desktop, how is that possible?

Well open the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Desktop
    Here you see all the icons that are on everybody's desktop (including yours).
    If someone would delete one of the icons, it would indeed affect all users (including yourself).

Now, how to prevent that.
    If there are programs that you use, and you only, simply move the icon from:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All users\Desktop
    to
    C:\Documents and Settings\*your name*\Desktop

animecraze

Re: mysterious moving desktop icons
    « Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 06:18:51 PM »
    So if one person deletes the shortcut from that comes from the all users section the it will dissapear for all users. And the only way to stop it from dissapearing on every user is to have the shortcut in every users desktop folder but the one that doesn't want it.
        If I'm understanding this right it is anoying. Thanks for the help.