Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need XP Sound Drivers For Inspiron 1720...  (Read 11650 times)

Dead_reckon

Re: W00T!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 06:34:14 PM »
W00T! i got the sound drivers working, never mind about the previous post, the package needed is:

R158235.exe

Excellent. Glad you found the right one finally. How did you determine that was the right one anyway? Just curious.

Dell isn't the only one who does this either, I recently had an Acer laptop brought in to me. I don't remember the exact model, but, like Dell, Acer only provides Vista drivers. It took a few days, and a lot of research and digging, but I was finally able to find a driver for everything, from the modem and wireless networking right down to the built in webcam and card reader. Some were provided by the manufacturers of the individual pieces, some were third party. Regardless of whether or not everyone is ready for Vista, they sure are making an effort to force people on it.

i basically just kept installing, rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, installing another, repeat. yes, i hate vista enough to go through that like, over a dozen times, probably closer to two dozen, but i'm happy now; as long as the drivers dont flake out again like they did this morning. i dont think they will though, i think its because i forgot to uninstall a set and i had two sets of drivers installed, oh well, at least the audio is working now, and unlike the vista driver, theres no crackling or popping. also, XP, running everything i ran in vista, and then some only eats 34% of my RAM, where as vista home premium ate 52% to 80% just running programs, and i have two gigs of RAM..

but, as i said earlier, i have audio, i'm happy. this three dollar set of heavy duty school something or another headphones are great, gotta love church sales. thanks again for the help, now all thats left to do is get the webcam, card reader, firewire, and lastly, the bluetooth working, card reader and firewire are no issue, bluetooth and webcam may be though, oh well, i'll re-post if i need help with it, right now i'm done with drivers for a while before i try to get anything else working on this thing, there was just too.. many.. reboots..