Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Problem?  (Read 2130 times)

larose2148

Power Supply Problem?
« on: December 22, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »
I can't say I really know what the problem on my computer is... but here is whats going on.

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
System Manufacturer:
NVIDIA
Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 2DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory
1022MB RAM
Video Card:
ATI Radeon X1300 Series
Hard Drive:
100GB (c:/)
40GB (d:/)
Monitor:
Plug and Play Monitor
Sound Card:
Realtek AC97 Audio

I just got a new Samsung "SyncMaster 730B" LCD monitor for Christmas with a DVI cable hookup.  I plugged it into my computer and had a little trouble getting it to connect by digital because it kept trying to go to analog. Once it was working, I tried to play Counter Strike Source and about 5 minutes into the game, my screen went black and my computer froze. I couldn't ctrl-alt-del out of anything so I hit the power button. I decided to let my computer sit for a while and restart it, but now it won't even connect to the new monitor.
I tried connecting my old CRT monitor to it and the same thing happened (its an analog connection). Got into the game, about 5 minutes later, screen went black and my computer froze.
I finally decided to look into my computer and see if I had any loose connections or if all my fans were working.. and I found out that one of the fans on my power supply wasn't running. I know I need to get a new power supply but I was also wondering if (1) does an LCD monitor with DVI require a bigger power supply? (2) What size power supply would be good for my computer with the current equipment I have in it? (3) Would the power supply be my ultimate problem or would that just be "the icing on the cake" so to speak?

Thank you for your time,
Lisa
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:34:08 AM by larose2148 »

blunder

Rookie

Re: Power Supply Problem?
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:54:19 PM »
    What size PSU do u have in it now?

homer

Expert
      Re: Power Supply Problem?
      « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:25:07 AM »
      1. i do not believe so, as the monitor has its own power source independent of the computer.

2. at the least a 300W power supply. i would, however, recommend a 500W power supply, for it leaves room for expansion.

3. no guarantees, it is either your PSU or your graphics card. since you are getting a new PSU anyway, it would be wise to see if the new PSU fixed the problem before buying a new graphics card.