Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Single & Dual Channel Mode RAM Issue  (Read 2867 times)

ezpc.tech

Single & Dual Channel Mode RAM Issue
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:01:02 AM »
Hi All,

Having a problem with a client's PC - RAM specifically. It's an Intel P4, 3Ghz, Gigabyte 8IPE1000P2 M/Board with 4 DDR RAM slots and 3 of them occupied with 256meg cards. The machine was VERY slow to boot and run apps. Pretty much fixed that with tweaks, but the boot mem check says it is running in single channel mode and has 1.5gb RAM, but the system and my diagnostic app says it only has 1gig. Thinking there was a problem with one of the cards I removed one of the three and it ran in dual channel mode but says it only has 512meg RAM. Played musical cards with the same result. I'm thinking there is a conflict or a faulty card. Curious as to why there are only 3 cards and not four. I have always thought RAM should be paired. Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

homer

Expert
    Re: Single & Dual Channel Mode RAM Issue
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:16:30 AM »
    3 of them occupied with 256meg cards
    I removed one of the three and it ran in dual channel mode but says it only has 512meg RAM.

that is correct. 256 X 2 = 512

boot mem check says it is running in single channel mode
    that might be caused by the odd amount of sticks.

... and has 1.5gb RAM

how is this possible with three 256mb sticks? you would have a max of 768mb of RAM.

I have always thought RAM should be paired.

you would be correct, RAM should be paired, but sadly, in some cases, it is not.

ezpc.tech

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 12:25:01 AM »
    Sorry... typo... 3 x 512 meg cards installed

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:34:59 PM »
      Sorry... typo... 3 x 512 meg cards installed

ahhh...that makes more sense. quiet honestly i would simply buy new RAM. RAM is cheap now and you can get 2gb DDR2 800 RAM for about $80 (assuming that the motherboard can support DDR2 RAM). for that price, it would save you the headache of troubleshooting the RAM you have now.

but, if you simply must have this RAM, i would have to say that one of the sticks is faulty. try booting with only one stick of RAM in the computer. do this with all 3 sticks until you find the stick that does not show up (ex. you have one 512mb stick installed and the comp reads 0mbs of RAM).

ezpc.tech

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:22:06 PM »
      Yeah, that's where I was leaning.
      Many thanks

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 03:25:37 PM »
        Yeah, that's where I was leaning.
        Many thanks

your welcome  :). if you need any more help in the future, you know where to find us. ;)