Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD drives dissapeared  (Read 2059 times)

iflyrctoo

CD drives dissapeared
« on: December 21, 2007, 06:39:06 AM »
I have a Dell Dimension 5100 running Windows XP pro. Recently had the power supply fail and replaced it and thought all was well. It has both CD & DVD drives. Last night I discovered that neither is recognized as being there. They both have power and will light up and open etc. They were both originally set to “cable select”. Nothing was changed except the power supply.  I’ve tried a new cable to no avail and tried different settings on the drives (i.e.: master, slave). The computer does not seem to recognize them as being there at all. The drives were not in use when the power supply failed but were working fine before that. Any suggestions? ???
Tim

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: CD drives dissapeared
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 06:44:16 AM »
Even though Windows does not see them, does the BIOS see them there?

iflyrctoo

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:52:15 AM »
No. Not in the bios either!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:26:30 AM »
Remove one of the drives...hook up the remaining one jumpered as master and connected to the end of the IDE ribbon cable.
Do a few cold boots and then check to see if the BIOS is picking it up now...

If so check to see it works in Windows...if so power down and add the second one as slave and repeat the process.

Sometimes the BIOS gets confused adding more than one device at a time and will not recognise drives properly.

If the above does NOT work you will have to test the drives one at a time in another machine to make sure they didn't get zapped...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

iflyrctoo

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »
 :D Got it working!
I found in the bios that the IDE controler was turned off.  :o The harddrive is SATA so it wasnt affected. No idea how it got turned off but everthing SEEMS to be working now! ;) Thanks guys for the help!
Tim