Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help with sound problem  (Read 2009 times)

nh827

Help with sound problem
« on: December 20, 2007, 09:03:14 PM »
I have been having a problem with my sound for the last 6 months or so.  I will be playing a sound file and suddenly my computer goes silent.  It makes no noises at all, not even the system noises like the clicks when I open a new window, my message alert sounds, or the sound when a file finishes downloading.  The sound will start playing just as suddenly as it stops, then it will cut off again.  I have had periods where it will be fine for days or weeks at a time, and then it starts acting up again and it might do this every couple of minutes.  I have found that if I either "tap" on the tower somewhere or jostle it back and forth a little bit, (or give it a whack, depending on my frustration level) then that causes it to come back on, sometimes to stay on for the duration of what I'm doing, other times it will come on and go right back off.  It is very consistent that when I tap or shake the tower, it at least shows signs of life as far as the sound sputtering on and off or staying on.  I am an idiot when it comes to hardware issues but would I be correct in assuming this is a bad sound card that needs to be replaced?  Is there anything else it could be?  I have followed the instructions as far as making sure it's not my speakers, the fact that it responds to me touching the tower makes it seem like something is loose in there or something is shorting out but I wanted to ask for advice to see if anyone had ever had this problem and if there would be anything else for me to check? It seems to be getting worse in the last month or so and it is driving me crazy.   My PC is an IBM pentium 4 with Windows XP and the sound card is from SoundMAX if any of that matters.  Thanks!

nickc1976

Intermediate

Re: Help with sound problem
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:19:20 AM »
    When the sounds goes off, try moving the cable jack where it plugs into your sound card, rather than hitting the pc. This should indicate whether or not it is a faulty cable, jack or socket.
    Its probably worth opening the pc and re-seating the sound card too.
    http://www.pc-citadel.com - PC and Laptop repairs upgrades and customization

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 05:24:34 AM »
      NEVER hit the PC it will cause futher problems.  Try another set of speakers if you have any this will tell you if the speakers you had were bad.  If you don't try getting an electronic cleaner and spray a small amount into the PC connector the speakers connect to and plug the speakers in and remove the connection an reconnect them to remove any dirt that is on the jack or in the sound card. 
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
        « Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
        When the sounds goes off, try moving the cable jack where it plugs into your sound card, rather than hitting the pc. This should indicate whether or not it is a faulty cable, jack or socket.
        Its probably worth opening the pc and re-seating the sound card too.

what he said.

by telling us that it works when you hit the computer, it most likely means that there is a loose connection somewhere. also, could you please include the make/model of your sound card?

nh827

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 04:10:33 PM »
        Thank you for the suggestions.  I don't even know enough to know where the sound card is, I have never taken the top off of a computer, so I will wait until my brother is available to help me before I try opening it up.  I don't even know where to look for the "cable jack where it plugs into the sound card."  Is that in the back like where the speakers plug in or is that something I have to take the top off to find?  Like I said I am clueless when it comes to hardware. 

When I look in my system information for the sound card it says Name: SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.  Manufacturer:  Analog Devices, Inc.  Status:  OK.  There's also a PNP device ID, I/O Port, memory address, IRQ channel and Driver, with a bunch of numbers and letters, is one of those the make/model?  Or is that something I would have to open the computer to find?

Again, thanks for getting me started in the right direction!!

homer

Expert
          « Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »
          I don't even know enough to know where the sound card is,

its the card that all your audio cables are hooked up to.

"cable jack where it plugs into the sound card."  Is that in the back like where the speakers plug in

yes.

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio.

these cards are more or less garbage. i had one and it failed after about 1-2 months of use. many other people have had many different problems with their sound, all rooting back to this piece of junk card. i strongly recommend a new soundcard.