Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Onboard sound card on Windows Vista not working.  (Read 5290 times)

Icarium

Onboard sound card on Windows Vista not working.
« on: December 22, 2007, 07:23:45 PM »
I'm running Windows Vista, Intel Dual Core 2 with 2gb RAM.

My problem is that some time ago (say.. 1 month), my sound completely disappeared. I restarted my computer to see if this would fix it.. instead it made it worse.. now Vista doesn't even find my sound card even if it's on my mother board, the Windows sound options tells me i have no sound devices installed even though i have both working speakers and a working microphone plugged in (tested them on a different computer and they work).
I have tried checking my sound card in BIOS (tells me it's working and is activated), installed/uninstalled/reinstalled Realtek sound drivers and mother board drivers several times with no luck. The drivers install successfully, but nothing happens after i restart. I have uninstalled the only thing in the Device Manager that has anything to do with sound, "High Definition Audo-Controller".. it gets reinstalled when i restart my computer, Vista actually detects this.. but nothing happens and i still have no sound.

Any ideas? if you need more information about my computer feel free to ask.. this problem is getting annoying, i've done anything and everything i can think of..

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Onboard sound card on Windows Vista not working.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:40:56 PM »
I'm afraid, you may need new sound card (how old is your computer?), but let me ask you this...
While updating sound drivers, was it self-installing file, or you updated it through Device Manager?

Icarium

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 04:00:05 AM »
My computer is brand new, 4 months old or so.. it was self-installing. I almost figured i need a new sound card  :-\

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »
it was self-installing
In that case, try to go to Device Manager, right click on your sound card, and click "Update driver", then point Wizard to the folder where you downloaded/expanded new driver.

If that doesn't work, and your computer is 4 months old, send it back for repair/replacement.