Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Last Known Configuration Looping  (Read 2832 times)

ctree

Last Known Configuration Looping
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:20:41 PM »
Hello,

I am having a problem with my HP Pavillion laptop. It won't boot and every time I boot I get this page that says, "Click on the Last Known Good Configuration" and when I do that, windows starts up, it looks like it is going to work and then I get the page again. It's been doing this for weeks.

I ultimately just to erase the hard drive and sell the computer. I don't need a back up.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the best way to wipe the hard drive under this condition so I can sell it?

Thank you!

mcf747

Beginner
    Re: Last Known Configuration Looping
    « Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 12:34:42 AM »
    I swear by this program:
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

It is amazing and will completely wipe the drive and make the data unrecoverable. You can download an ISO from the site. It will make a bootable disk, boot to it and follow the on screen instructions. One other tinhing about selling the laptop is that you could probably sell it for more if you had a "new and clean" OS on it. Now I know some HP's have a recovery partition if you every want to reinstall the OS and others come with disks. Keep in mind if you use the Boot and Nuke tool it will also erase the recovery partition. If you don't have any really sensitive material on the laptop and you reinstall the OS using the recovery partition I would recommend you just reinstall the OS and format the drive during the install which effectively erases it, but the data could be recovered if someone REALLY wanted too, and would require quite a bit of skill and technical knowledge. But in the end its up to you.

Have a happy holidays.