Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 on an Asus EeePC  (Read 19149 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Windows 98 on an Asus EeePC
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:48:27 AM »
Alright guys, someone is bringing me their EeePC 4G in a couple days and wants me to try to put Windows 98 on it. Sounds simple enough, except Asus only provides drivers for Linux and Windows XP. Why not just go with Windows XP? This model of the EeePC only comes with a 4GB solid state disk. XP takes about 75% of that, not leaving much to work with after the install. However, Windows 98 uses quite a bit less than that plus it will run faster on the EeePC's hardware.

What I need to do is try to locate drivers to make all of the hardware functional. So far, I think that I can get Windows 98 drivers for the Intel video chipset and the Realtek audio chipset. Other than that, I think this is gonna be a pain in the *censored* (like USB 2.0, the wireless adapter, etc.)

Attached is the Everest Home report on the system, if it's of any use. I've edited out some irrelevant parts, but all the information on the hardware is there.

-=EDIT=-
Ok, the full report is too large. I've just included the summary, if anyone needs more info for any piece of hardware, just ask and I'll post the relevant sections.

Oh, and it will be Windows 98 SE.

[saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 98 on an Asus EeePC
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »
Why not Win2K....at least it's NT based and many of those WinXP drivers will/should  function
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 02:07:35 AM »
He's supposed to be bringing me a Win98 CD to do this with. He doesn't have 2000. I've been looking around, but I can't find everything I need for this. Might not be able to do it and have everything functional.

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
    • Obituary
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:51:43 AM »
Your USB may be solved by installing nusb33e.exe..

LookHere
Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:54:56 AM »
One of the drivers I can't seem to find are the motherboard chipset drivers. At least I think that's the one... I can't remember. I was looking last night and I know there was something I couldn't find drivers for.

Oh, they dropped off the computer today, but not the 98 CD, they'll bring that on monday. Right now I've got XP on it and I'm trying to reduce XP's size as much as possible. Right now I've got Windows XP and the drivers at 2.5GB, with a bunch of crap already removed. Still more to do though.

They've also brought an external 80GB drive that I can use for installing programs that don't need to run at start up. This will free up space on the 4GB SSD.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 07:08:55 AM »
Here Ya Go

I was able to track down drivers for everything but the Atheros wireless for Win2K but not Win98.
Have him try the local University bookstores for Win2K.
As most of these devices were in their infancy around Win98 i don't think you'll have much success.

Another option would be Bold Fortunes Guide to slimming down WinXP. He is the ultimate Guru on this Topic and although it is no small task it may be just what the Doctor ordered...

The link is to another Forum that hosts his guide...

P.S. If you do go this route i highly suggest an image program such as Acronis for the finished product....you wouldn't want to do this twice.
With a fresh image of the trimmed OS and drivers all running and installed you are 7 minutes away from a restore should anything go amiss...

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 07:46:24 AM »
Yeah, I've done most of the things he mentions. Some new things in there though I can try. I've got it down to 1.83 GB now. I've read I can deleting the i386 folder which contains the driver library, or move it to the external, then just direct Windows there when it needs something or put in the CD. That'd free up another 100MB almost, but I'll leave that for now I think. While I'm smart enough to know how to do that, I don't think they are. Gonna see how much more I can trim off here.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:12:03 AM »
1.85 GB, I don't think it's gonna get any smaller. I've deleted just about everything he mentions as well as what ASUS recommends removing in the EeePC manual. Think I'll recommend this guy installs OpenOffice instead of getting 2007. I took a look from my 2007 CD, just installing Word and Excel with minimal extra options still came out to over 1 GB. Gonna download and try OpenOffice and see how small I can get it.

-=UPDATE=-

While waiting for Open Office to download, I've managed to get it down to 1.57 GB used. Now I really don't think I can get it down any more. They'll have to live with that if they want everything to work.

-=UPDATE=-

Open Office Writer and Calc (Word and Excel equivalents) installed. Space used: 277MB with most options. Not bad. Better than 1.2 GB that Office 2007 needed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 09:28:46 AM by quaxo »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:51:21 AM »
Copy the i386 folder as is to the external...this will cause zero issues.
XP does not need it to run.
It only accesses it for driver updates or when running sfc /scannow...

Did you happen to sell them on the Acronis idea ? ?
ver. 10 which is all they will need is about 20 bucks shipped from newegg.
Well worth it.
You may want to grab one for yourself at that price. Peace of Mind.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:38:56 AM »
Nah, haven't spoken to the since they dropped it off. It's 1am, so I probably won't hear from the tonight haha

I'm still plugging and unplugging different things into it (flash drives, ext. CD and HDD, etc.). I'll move that i386 folder as soon as I'm done. Just get tired of having to tell it again and again every time I put something new in it. Actually, I could move it now I think. Windows has everything it needs now.

The only think left to put on it is VLC player, but other than that I'm done. 1.86GB complete with:

Windows XP
Open Office
AVG Free Edition
Comodo Firewall
CCleaner
All drivers for the hardware

I'd say 1.86 GB isn't all that bad.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »
True...but 850Mg would be alot sweeter...
You've piqued my interest on this build...keep me posted.
But you still didn't answer my questions...

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 08:54:12 PM »
But you still didn't answer my questions...

Oh, sorry. What'd I miss?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 10:59:15 AM »
Acronis True Image ? ?

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 11:08:56 AM »
Yeah, I might pick that up. The EeePC is quite popular here. While we don't sell laptops, a friend of mine who runs a shop in the mall down the street does. He has sold 10 this week and most of the people have asked for XP to be installed on it. He said he's gonna start sending people my way and have me do it. Would save me the trouble of going through it again and again to reduce the size.