Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help finding a new mother board  (Read 7182 times)

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

Need help finding a new mother board
    « on: December 27, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »
    Well I need a new mother board because my current one doesnt have any PCI-Express 16x slots. Now II know a bit about computers but I have never really bothered to look into mother boards. Im clueless on what i should buy. I basicly want a mother board with the same (or better) performance of my old one but with a PCI- Express 16x slot on it. I dont want to spend a whole lot ethier. My budget is 100$ and under. Also Im not sure what information i need to give so ill just link you to my comps model:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00257657&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1152514&lang=en

Thank oyu for the help.

squall_01

Prodigy

Re: Need help finding a new mother board
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 07:25:04 PM »
      Well you need more details.  Like what CPU does it use and what type of RAM it uses.  I'm sure you can probably get one under a hundred try looking at these sites they sell parts www.newegg.com www.tigerdirect.com www.computergeeks.com.  Okay um you need an ATX Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 processor with HyperTransport support.  DDR RAM.  SATA or IDE which ever your hardrive uses. Hope that helps a bit an make sure to take note of your connections or you mite not be able to boot your pc at all.  Also, took the metal part of the case to prevent ESD just in case.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 08:57:06 PM »
        Thank you. That helped alot acually. my only question is wats SATA and IDE?

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
          Thank you. That helped alot acually. my only question is wats SATA and IDE?

2 different ways of transporting information between the motherboard and harddrives and/or optical drives. SATA is superior to IDE due to its increased data speed and physically smaller cables. to use SATA harddrives or optical drives, one must have a SATA capable board.

no offense intended, but i strongly suggest upgrading your entire computer. most of your hardware is now obsolete and it is simply pointless to spend money on outdated components.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 03:06:47 AM »
            I recommend you getting the same board you had in there.  Cause they have all the required needs to that single PC.  If you want to do that theres a number on the Board a shearch for that. 

Not true if you only have to replace one part its worth fixing.  Comodore 64 stuff may be outdated but people still like the system.  But different in opinion i suppose.
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:40:23 AM »
              Ive been searching around newegg.com and i came across this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135024
              It looks great for its price. Has alot of options on it so it looks like itll last me awhile. 32gb max RAM.
              It has 2x IDE/PATA cables and 4x SATA cables.
              Is there any reason why this would not work with my current comp?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:45:51 AM »
              Please Post more info on what you have...otherwise you could be pointed to 50 MBoards that you cannot use and you will be buying a whole new machine...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »
                also I have a sepron prossecor and it says it supports thoughs so i should be fine right? Right now thats my biggest problem i think.

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 10:09:06 AM »
                  Please Post more info on what you have...otherwise you could be pointed to 50 MBoards that you cannot use and you will be buying a whole new machine...

Alright Ill do my best.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
                   System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
                   System Model: ED891AA-ABA a1203w
                   BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
                   Processor: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+,  MMX,  3DNow, ~1.8GHz

This is the card I will be putting into my computer:
                  Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 
                   Manufacturer: NVIDIA
                  Display Memory: 256.0 MB

RAM Type:
                  This is the RAM I will be intalling:
                  Component                Attributes
                  Memory Installed    2x 1gb
                  Type    184 pin,            DDR SDRAM

Not sure what else i can give you. what ever ou need just ask.

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 11:51:38 AM »
                    I all ready mentioned what you need to look for in the board.  It sounds like it should work and by the sound of it you can make it into a good pc.  MAke sure there is the same ports on the back of the pc for the boards connectors to go into.  But they usually send you the right cover for it.  You just need to remove the old one before putting in the new board.  Not sure if you knew and glad I was able to have helped you out.

homer

Expert
                      « Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 12:50:39 PM »
                      Ive been searching around newegg.com and i came across this motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135024
                      It looks great for its price. Has alot of options on it so it looks like itll last me awhile. 32gb max RAM.
                      It has 2x IDE/PATA cables and 4x SATA cables.
                      Is there any reason why this would not work with my current comp?

not the same CPU socket, and not the same RAM. you would have to buy new RAM and a new processor. this is what i meant by your hardware being obsolete.

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      • Experience: Beginner
                      « Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »
                      And this is what i meant as well...

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »
                        Well you need more details.  Like what CPU does it use and what type of RAM it uses.  I'm sure you can probably get one under a hundred try looking at these sites they sell parts www.newegg.com www.tigerdirect.com www.computergeeks.com.  Okay um you need an ATX Socket 754 AMD Athlon 64 processor with HyperTransport support.  DDR RAM.  SATA or IDE which ever your hardrive uses. Hope that helps a bit an make sure to take note of your connections or you mite not be able to boot your pc at all.  Also, took the metal part of the case to prevent ESD just in case.

Ok I think Ive got it! Now this Mobo is a bit old but it thats ok. Im not the type of person who needs top of the line stuff. anyways heres a board i found that seems to have what i needhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186062. It uses DDR RAM. Max memory is 4 gb witch is fine by me.Has 2 PCI-Express slots. It has Athion 64 processor and HyperTransport support.

Only issue is i cant find anything about "ATX Socket 754" and also im not to sure about what is has for SATA and PATA support. If someone can help me on that or just tell me if this is the right card for me that owuld be great.

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »
                          Acually I found a somewhat newer board with better reviews that looks to have the same things as the other one.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131042. It looks like the specs match what i need. Will this card work?

homer

Expert
                            « Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 03:58:18 AM »
                            Acually I found a somewhat newer board with better reviews that looks to have the same things as the other one.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131042. It looks like the specs match what i need. Will this card work?

*sigh* again, wrong CPU socket and wrong RAM type. in order to use this motherboard you must buy a new processor and new RAM.

if you really would like to upgrade ONLY your motherboard, then i suggest the Foxconn NF4K8AB-RS found here.

again, i highly recommend upgrading your entire computer. it is not worth it to spend money on old and outdated technology. it is also unwise to purchase a 8600GT for your system for it will be severly bottlenecked by your older system components.

Quacka

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 07:52:11 PM »
                              Thank you all for the help but i just said forget it and i went and got a new computer. Here are the specs:

RAM:3074gb
                              Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4500 2.20ghz 2.20ghz
                              Hardrive:500gb
                              It also has some nice fans on it to. It looked good to me and it seems to run great.

homer

Expert
                                « Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 07:58:41 PM »
                                but i just said forget it and i went and got a new computer.

good choice. :)