Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where are all the options in my BIOS?  (Read 3227 times)

overclocker_n00b

Where are all the options in my BIOS?
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:00:41 AM »
I am trying to overclock my HP Pavilion dv5000 laptop. I press F10 at the startup to enter the "Phoenix BIOS setup utility", but it doesn't look like the screenshots on this site. The only options I can change are things like time, date, passwords, accesibility and wireless. I can't find anything that lets me do anything more advanced like changing FSB speeds and voltages and other things needed for overclocking. What do I need to do to get to more advanced options?

HP Pavilion dv5157eu
AMD Turion 64 Processor
Windows XP Home
Phoenix BIOS

Please help. I've searched everywhere and don't have any 'documentation' to consult (who keeps the manual anyway?).

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Where are all the options in my BIOS?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:07:14 AM »
At the bottom of the first page it will list the commands such as page up page down to move to the following pages.......
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

overclocker_n00b

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »
Yes I know how to move to other pages... I'm not that much of a n00b. But there are no relevant options on any of the pages.

I think I already found the problem anyway. Basically it seems that you can't overclock any recent HP, Compaq or Dell laptops. They build the BIOS without the necessary options because they don't want you making your computer better than they want it to be.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 02:53:31 PM »
The best way to overclock an HP is to gut the case and put what you want in there...
Some of their cases are actually quite nice for this purpose.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "