Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old hard disks aren't configured with new computer; can't boot up  (Read 2220 times)

jpq21

I just got a new computer but decided to keep my old hard disks and disk drives since they were good enough and I wanted to keep all my stuff. I have 2 hard disks- the old one with everything on it and a new one I bought several months ago that is empty. When I try booting up it tries to load Windows but a screen pops up that says:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

It goes on to describe what I should do in inapplicable situations different from this one, and gives 5 options to try to load windows with- Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), Start Windows Normally.
When I try the last 2 it does the same thing, failing to load then rebooting with the same situation. The Safe Mode options load a bunch of lines of system32 stuff then reboot and do the same thing.

I have Windows XP Home Edition on my old hard disk. It is configured to the old computer hardware's stuff, and I assume that is why its not working, but I don't know what to do to fix it. I have a Motherboard support CD for the new motherboard, and a CD for Windows XP Professional version (don't know if this would work since I have Home).

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: old hard disks aren't configured with new computer; can't boot up
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 06:22:11 PM »
    Yep you will need to reinstall Windows.
    The XP Pro should work fine. But it will install XP professional instead of Home of course.
    If you have anything you need to save on the hard drive partition where XP Home is currently installed I recommend you back this up before installing XP Pro.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

jpq21

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 06:45:37 PM »
    Do I need to install Windows on a different computer to do this? I can do this with the empty hard disk (making it master) right, and add the disk with all the stuff on it as a slave?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 07:06:39 PM »
      I can do this with the empty hard disk (making it master) right, and add the disk with all the stuff on it as a slave?
      Yep, that'll work just fine.
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)