Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Device Manager contents suddenly gone missing  (Read 3224 times)

handoc313

Device Manager contents suddenly gone missing
« on: December 30, 2007, 04:39:46 PM »
I have a Dell 9300 Inspiron with Windows XP SP2; sometime recently I attempted to check a driver in the Device Manager and found it empty.  Have searched for possible causes and fixes for Empty Device Manager with no luck.  Specifically, no Apropos bug found; also, Plug and Play automatic detection is checked.  It may be a coincidence but at about the same time the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon went missing from the taskbar.   System Restore has NEVER worked on this computer, and I understand that this may be because a quarantined malware file had been removed at some time in the past.  Ugh.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Device Manager contents suddenly gone missing
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 05:50:46 PM »
Travel to Dell's site and enter your service tag #...
DLoad and re-install the listed drivers and re-boot and see if the condition improves.
Afterwards re-run all your malware scans and if there are still issues visit our Virus and Spyware section and follow the instructions for posting your logs.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Device Manager contents suddenly gone missing
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:19:40 AM »
Try here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
#107 - right pane (Restore the Device Manager)