Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Might be an odd question, but...  (Read 2464 times)

joelorenz40

Topic Starter

Rookie

Might be an odd question, but...
    « on: December 31, 2007, 09:09:34 AM »
    In a newly installed XP OS, if I went to control panel/network and internet connections/network connections...what would I see in that window?   :)

Thanks
    Joe

homer

Expert
      Re: Might be an odd question, but...
      « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:25:40 AM »
      you would see all of your enabled network connection(s) and all of your enabled firewire connection(s). why do you ask?

joelorenz40

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 10:24:11 AM »
        And what if i had none? a newly installed xp os without any network connections or internet connection set up. I have an  old machine that has neither, but in those areas there seem to be this and that disabled or connections that i dont think should be. so it just made me wonder what would be there if, like i say, a new xp os without network connection or internet connection set up. just curiosity.   :)

joelorenz40

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »
          for instance my section has a dial-up section, internet gateway section, and lan or highspeed internet section. each has various disabled or connected icons. but im sure there are none. so if i wiped everything and reinstalled xp os, would those sections be there without the icons, or would they not be there at all, and that window be blank?   :)

Panda25

Beginner
            « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
            You may need to install drivers for your Nic or modem.  If you go into device manager do you have a question mark next to network adapters or the modem?  If you do, it means you'll have to download and install drivers.

joelorenz40

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 11:37:12 AM »
              OK well there isnt a problem. I dont want any connections. I was just wondering what I would see in that window on a new install with no connections is all.

Broni

Mastermind
              • Kraków my love :)
                • Computer Help Forum
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Experienced
              « Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »
              If I remember correctly, you should have just one icon: "New connection", or something similar.

homer

Expert
                « Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »
                OK well there isnt a problem. I dont want any connections. I was just wondering what I would see in that window on a new install with no connections is all.

depends what make/model your motherboard is and what is enabled. most motherboards nowadays come with built in network adapters and firewire adapters. if you do not wish to see these connections, you will have to disable them via device manager.