Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to access a program saved on an external hard drive..exe links not valid  (Read 2659 times)

sandikoff

Ok this is what has happened..  I had unplugged my external hard drive from the computer via USB for some unknown reason. When I plugged it back in it changed it's drive designation from J:/ to K:/.
THe biggest problem this has caused me so far is the inability to access the zune software program.  The reference is to look in j:drive - which is now on mycomputer as removable disk j:       

I have tried to delete the zune software from add-remove programs with no success.

how do I tell the computer to look for k: instead of j: when accessing this program or how do I remove it ...

I am considering copying fils from hard drive k: to flsah drive  or memory card j: and then trying to delete program for reinstall to K:

Can any one explain why it moved designation?  I have a hunch : I had plugged in a digital camera which accesssed j: while Hard drive was unplugged...when I plugged it back in it had no home?? so became a k:??

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Welcome to the CH forums.

Goto Device Manager>View and click on Show Hidden Devices.  Search for your camera and external hdd and uninstall them. (the hdd should be listed under Disk Drives, not sure where the camera will appear).  Then replug your hdd and reboot, if necessary re-install a driver.

If Show Hidden Devices is not an option in Device Manager>View then Right click My Computer and click Properties. From the Advanced tab, click Environment Variables.

Under System Variables, click the New button. Type devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices for the Variable Name.

Under Variable Value, type "1″ and click OK. Click OK twice more to apply the changes and exit the System Properties dialog box.

Open Device Manager again and from the View menu, click Show Hidden Devices.

Good luck - please post back with your result, good or bad.
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.