Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BAS, Trying to run game on C64, please - need help / file  (Read 3705 times)

Wolfmagi

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Beautiful Wolf
    BAS, Trying to run game on C64, please - need help / file
    « on: January 02, 2008, 12:12:15 PM »
    Someone suggested to me, that they send me a BAS command file
    (something that lets Win98 to run Basic, or commodore64 programs)

I have a few questions-

Where can I get it?
    Can it fit on a 3 1/2in floppy? (Just over  a MB of space, 2.56Mb if compressed)
    Can I save a "Basic" file simply by making a notepad file, click save as, and adding ".bas" extension. please help? thanks.

ps the code I'm trying to run looks like this, i was told it was BASIC:

Code: [Select]
    10 REM Arcade Explorers Game 3
    20 REM Electric Hurricane
    30 REM Lewis & Mcevoy (C)
    40 REM cannon or blaster
    50 BN$

and it would say BN$ equals something, etc. . .
    It includes alot of "GOSUB" commands, and "If. .Then . . ." statements and a command I didn't recognize:

if CN=(I+CY) then blah blah(?) blah:RETURN

the :Return command, final question: What is the purpose of this command?

Please help me, and answer al these questions. . .And if it can fit on a 3 1/2inch floppy disk
    then e-mail me the BAS Command File, (For Win98) to

[email protected] OR [email protected] (Gmail is better, i can get to it from school)

Thanks guys,
     Your bud- RJ

PPS--

I won't be able to resond to any messages until School starts (jan 07)
    but don't let that stop u from posting / sending me the file asap (if possible)

gpl

Apprentice
      Re: BAS, Trying to run game on C64, please - need help / file
      « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:10:42 PM »
      you really do not want to do this, the c64 is old old old, if you really want to learn basic, get a basic interpreter for windows - this forum has pointed out a few in the past

ok, if you really must, google for commodore 64 emulator

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:07:43 AM »
      From personal experience ... Older basic programs run too fast on newer systems, since most programs were based around a 1 to 4 Mhz CPU, and your Windows 98 machine is likely to be at least 25 times faster than that.

You may have to add routines to eat up or adjust the execution rate to get it to work as you want it to like  adding a loop

10 for x =1 to 1000
      20 y=x
      30 next x

To get it to count to 1000 before going further. Way back in the day when I programmed using Tandy-Basic, GW-Basic, and QBasic, I generally had to add these loops to slow down the operation if the hardware was more advanced than the prior systems running the programs. Especially since many of my programs were ascii characters moving around on the screen which you controlled and gameplay can be sped up or slowed by use of clock cycle eating loops.

Like the prior post, there are MANY MANY free interpreters out there. I still use GW-Basic that came with my DOS 2.11 and QBasic from DOS 6.22 however. and to have some control over the execution I run it in a Virtual PC 2007 Virtual DOS environment. You can control the programs execution rate by editing the code to add these clock cycle eating loops or change the PID of Virtual PC to be lower priority or greater priority to get execution rates changed.

I myself tried the C64 emmulator a while back and got bored with it, since you cant slap your C64 cartridge into your PC and make it work without finding a ROM file that someone skoffed off a ROM reader and posted for play as a Binary File to be imported into the emmulator.

When programming in Basic, I'd stick with a interpreter that runs in Windows without the need for emmulation. Emmulators are buggy, like the PlayStation Emmulator that I have that allows for play of PS1 games through my PC!

Wolfmagi

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Beautiful Wolf
        « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
        any idea where to get this "interpreter"?

gpl

Apprentice

Wolfmagi

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Beautiful Wolf
            « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 06:30:50 AM »
            thanks guys, any idea where I can learn C++ (I'm not too instersted in "Security Apps for Institutions")
            So I can make my own small programs, and where I can find a free, semi-decent Compiler? (That's easy to use?)

gpl

Apprentice
              « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
              I refer you to my previous answer (Google it)

However, Microsoft are making freely available their 'express' version of the DotNet suite - http://www.microsoft.com/express/2005/

They are also showcasing the 2008 version of the suite
              Graham

Wolfmagi

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Beautiful Wolf
                « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
                *censored* is suite?? express?? uhh I'll chec kit out I guess

Deerpark

Egghead
                  « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 10:34:09 AM »
                  Express is the light version, which is free. Suite is the whole package which you pay for.
                  But the Basic interpreter (compiler) in Visual Studio 2005 is radically different from the old DOS basic interpreters. I don't think VS is the way to go.
                  How about a C64 emulator?
                  Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
                  Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Wolfmagi

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Beautiful Wolf
                    « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »
                    thnx... know where I can learn Perl?