Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: older compaq laptop problem  (Read 3223 times)

mooseye

Topic Starter

Rookie

older compaq laptop problem
    « on: January 02, 2008, 04:01:16 PM »
    It is an LTE 5000 series and it got dropped from about 2.5 feet a couple of years ago and has not worked since.
     It would not power up or show any sign of life. No lights or sounds.
     I dug it out today to see if it was repairable. After dissambling it and finding nothing unusual I reconnected the ribbon and reassembled the laptop.
     Now when power cord is inserted, I get 3 or 4 beeps and the three lights light but that is all it will do. The power button seems to have no effect.
     I have tried connecting it to an external monitor with no change.
     Does anyone have experience with this problem or any idea what might be wrong?

homer

Expert
      Re: older compaq laptop problem
      « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:10:53 PM »
      we will need to know what the BIOS is in the notebook in order to translate the beep/light codes.

mooseye

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
        Ok, I guess it is junk since it won't boot I don't know how to determin the bios.
         Thanks,

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »
          the BIOS should be in your manual, provided that you still have it. you might be able to search for it via the internet as well, seeing as how you know the make of the computer. if you simply cannot find it, then i recommend a 12 gauge  :).

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 05:48:44 PM »
            Shearch on google for beep codes.  Then from there it will tell you whats wrong an needs replaced
            Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
              Shearch on google for beep codes.  Then from there it will tell you whats wrong an needs replaced

there are many brands of BIOS'. different makers have different beep codes.