Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: default mail client not properly installed  (Read 6745 times)

dustman

Topic Starter

Starter

default mail client not properly installed
    « on: January 02, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
    Hello,

Hope somebody has the solution to this problem: I am running Windows XP with service pack 2, Zone Alarm Security Suite (not running Windows firewall or
    Windows virus protection), and get MS updates automatically. I am using Outlook Express, have only used this email program, no problems. Now when I try to use a link to send an email I get the error message "default mail client not properly installed".

I have tried to download OE from the net to do a new install. The most recent I can find is OE6. I downloaded it, and tried to install it, but it says I have a newer version installed, current installation will not proceed. I guess that means I have OE7. I have checked under tools, internet options, programs, and OE is shown as the default.

I tried registry repair, and all it did was get rid of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flashplayer, which I needed, so I had to find and reinstall both of them, another can of worms opened. I finally got them working again, but now I'm still getting the error message that the default mail client is not properly installed. I can't email business or companies I purchase from. This is a problem that only started about a week or so ago. Any ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dustman

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: default mail client not properly installed
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
    I suspect some of ZA updates....
    OE is a part of Internet Explorer, so, if you have Internet Explorer 7, that means, you have Outlook Express 7.
    Open IE, go Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab, click Reset button.
    Restart computer.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:00:40 PM »
    Mea culpa, and I apologize, I didn't warn you, that IE will go to square one.
    I'm happy though, your problem got fixed.
    So we went a round-about way
    What exactly did you do?

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:47:56 AM »
    OE is a part of Internet Explorer, so, if you have Internet Explorer 7, that means, you have Outlook Express 7.
    MS stopped Outlook Express at version 6; it was not included with IE 7, so there is no version 7 of Outlook Express.  IE users who updated IE from 6 to 7 still have Outlook Express 6.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Computer Help Forum
    « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »
    MS stopped Outlook Express at version 6; it was not included with IE 7, so there is no version 7 of Outlook Express.  IE users who updated IE from 6 to 7 still have Outlook Express 6
    I told myself so many times to shut up, when it comes to programs, which I don't use, but as I can see to no avail...grrrrrrrrrrr