Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ltoshiba laptop wont hibernate or go standby on its own  (Read 2553 times)

kamikim

ltoshiba laptop wont hibernate or go standby on its own
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:27:34 AM »
hi experts
i m talking about a almost two year old duo core toshiba 1.86Ghz laptop with win xp
it has started to not to hibernate or stand by by it self
i have set my desired timings on powers options  and i expect it to obey to instruction when i fall asleep but in morning i find it as it was 8 hours b4 with Lcd still on,.
#2 i have set  Lcd to get powered off after it is not in use for 10 min ,but sometimes it goes off most of the time dont
and when it goes off it dont wake up on moving the mouse ,
in that case i cannt see nothing on my system so i have to hold down the power button for few many seconds in order to get the whole system get powered off and start again
pls advice me on these issues
thanks

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: ltoshiba laptop wont hibernate or go standby on its own
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 04:21:47 AM »
What is the make and model of the laptop? That's important to know so we can see exactly what hardware you're working with.

Regarding issue #1:
Do you have a screen saver active? If so, does it ever come on?

What programs are running on your computer at any given time? Some programs won't allow the computer to go into automatic standby or hibernation and often won't allow a screen saver to come on. For example, some media players, P2P programs, or other programs that actively use the hard disk.

Issue #2:
This might also be a result things running in the background. Depending on your power settings, there are different steps to powering down automatically when not in use. The following is an example and does not apply to all laptops and/or settings:

First, screen saver. Second, screen off and hard drive off. Third, system standby or hibernation.

The third step usually requires the power button to be pushed to turn it back on, but some computers support pushing keys or moving the mouse. Consult the laptop's documentation on that. Have you tried just pushing it once and not holding down the power button?

kamikim

Re: ltoshiba laptop wont hibernate or go standby on its own
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »
hi thanks for u ur reply budd
yes it does have a black screen savor that comes after 10 minutes and very few seconds later the lcd turn s off
i m running regular pogrammes but but none of my requrires programmes are loadedduring start up bcoz i have modified the setup through msconfig
the software which i usually run are adobe cs3 ,unigraphics nx3 ,master cam ,and ms office
plus i do have a external hard drive being operated through router and i have have enables to suspend or hibernate my system from extenal hdd  software prefrences
 bsides i must tell u its a toshiba centrino 1.88 ghz and model is satellite p 100
well thats it i thing thats all i can provide to be diagnosed
thanks