Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Surround Sound Card Problem  (Read 2134 times)

Beardderek

Surround Sound Card Problem
« on: January 06, 2008, 02:31:53 AM »
Have replaced a copy of Discworld which some kind person had stolen. Game loaded fine but no sound. Looking in the game menu, I am given the choice of Soundblaster or equivalent sound cards.
I have on board a Trust 5:1 Surround sound card and speaker system. Any ideas.
Its good to find a forum like this and I have a whole list of questions to follow.
Many Thanks

homer

Expert
    Re: Surround Sound Card Problem
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:19:19 AM »
    discworld is an old DOS game correct?

what is your OS?

Beardderek

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 06:05:11 AM »
    Yes correct. It is a DOS programme and the operating system is Windows XP. I put in the Trust Card in order that I could download from a Boss recording Studio using the optical output as the line out required a preamp prior to the computer,

Thanks for your interest

quaxo

Guru
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:52:31 AM »
    DOS programs are getting harder to run with each Windows version. XP doesn't have much support for DOS programs, especially when it comes to sound.

However, You might consider trying DosBox. It's a Windows program that emulates DOS. It still under development, but it works quite well as it is now. It works so well that Sierra recently used it in the re-release of their Quest games (Space Quest, King's Quest, Police Quest) which were mostly (if not all) DOS games.

Manually configuring DosBox takes a bit of practice and guessing (mostly about timing and FPS), but it provides Sound Blaster emulation for the programs and translates that into output for Windows.

They've got a pretty big following with a large forum for any support you'd need with the program.