Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk read error  (Read 5573 times)

Musette

Topic Starter

Disk read error
    « on: January 07, 2008, 07:11:23 PM »
    System information:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz
    Motherboard: Intel D975XBX2
    RAM: OCZ EL PC2-5400 DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel Gold Memory
    Custom built computer

This is the problem.  I recently upgraded my computer.   I connected everything and installed the operating system, and it seemed fine.  The problem started after I turned off the computer.   It showed a Stop:Error screen with an unspecified stop error (it only gave the 0x000000000 numbers).  I restarted the computer, and there was another Stop:Error, but this time BAD_POOL_CALLER.  The next time I tried to start it up, Windows tried to run chkdsk on drive C, but only got through a little bit of it before an 'unspecified error occurred', and a few seconds later, it went to a blue screen with MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.  I restarted it once again, and again it tried to run chkdsk.  It got a little further this time, but again 'unspecified error', only this time, it didn't go to a blue screen - it just hung at that screen.  I restarted it one last time, and this time, it just went to a black screen with the words 'A disk read error has occurred.  Press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart'.  I put the XP Home Edition CD in the drive.  It reached the screen where it says to press any key to boot from the CD, which I did.  It then said it was going through the configuration or something, and then it hangs at a blank screen indefinitely.

Now, about the master drive.  It's a Maxtor 320 GB, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache, SATA II/300.  I just bought it - it's brand new and retail, not OEM.  I've seen this problem brought up other places on the Internet, but there was no solution.  For some people, this turned out to be a problem with the Maxtor drive, and they returned it for a new one.  I'm not sure how to find out if this is the case. 

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you very much in advance. 

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Disk read error
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »

Musette

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 06:36:09 PM »
      Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, that didn't help, but I was able to plug the hard drive into another computer, where it successfully ran chkdsk, and corrected a lot of errors, so I am able to access the drive now.  I'm a little puzzled as to how it developed so many errors, but that's that.  Thanks again.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 06:40:17 PM »
      If drive has SO many errors, back up your data, and get new HD. The old one may give up any day.

Deerpark

Egghead
        « Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 04:54:40 AM »
        If it's a brand new drive it shouldn't be full of errors. I suggest you run the hard drive diagnostics utility for Maxtor drives to verify that the drive is functioning correctly.
        http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
        Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
        Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)