Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange behavior of SVCHOST.EXE  (Read 2095 times)

kapcon

Strange behavior of SVCHOST.EXE
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »
every time i feel my system really dragging[very  very slow] and i check the task manager, i find the svchost.exe using over 90% cpu. if i end this process, everything immediately speeds up and i do not have any known negative repercussions? i have read the entries on this process, but still wonder what is going on with my system?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Strange behavior of SVCHOST.EXE
    « Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 03:36:46 PM »
    Need...more...info...gasp  :P

Operating system / antivirus & antispyware protection / service packs installed / when did it start happening / did it ever work right / installed any new software?

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

alexK

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 06:31:28 PM »
    Sorry to *censored*-in.
    I have the same Bl@#$y problem. >:(
    Mine is an original XP SP2 on Presario R3000, got the laptop for 3yrs. Never restored, no virus. But the problem has always been there.
    The problem occurs at least 2x per week. The CPU usage tends to creep to 99%. The drive starts to race, the machine gets hot  then I finally shut the system down. I checked the sytem with NETSTAT but does not show anything out of order.
    The Taskmanager shows 4 SVCHOSTs, of which only one does the 99%, the rest zero. Can I shove this guy to a low priority, or better disable it?
    Thanks so much!   >:(

dairyman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 06:38:32 PM »
    Installed MVPS HOSTS recently?
    Is it running under NETWORK SERVICE?

I'm having the same problem as you and the only way I can end it is to kill the process...