Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not boot  (Read 2160 times)

Kimmiesue38

Computer will not boot
« on: January 06, 2008, 04:22:41 PM »
The memory was taken out and put back in a notebook and now the computer will not boot at all.  You turn it on and hear nothing then it shuts itself off.  I think the computer may have been turned on when the memory was taken out and it was plugged in.  Any clue as to what could have happened? 

joshthor

Beginner

Re: Computer will not boot
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »
    i'd take the ram out again, check the ports, clean it, make sure the ram is the same voltage/type, and then make sure you plug it all back in right

Kimmiesue38

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »
    Thanks for your help.  We have taken it in and out several times to no avail.  I was getting ready to buy some more memory and hubby took the memory out of his notebook to be sure of what kind to get.  Our son left the computer on but had the lid closed and hubby didn't know that so we think the computer was on when he took the memory out.  We are thinking it fried something.  Motherboard, memory who knows.  You turn it on and nothing.  No sound nothing on the screen and then shuts down in less than a minute.  But thank you I will clean everything and try again.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 08:00:30 AM »
    Since it is a laptop and there's a chance the RAM was removed with power to the machine unfortunately you may be looking at a service call...
    Is it still under warranty by any chance ? ?

Another thing you can try but i promise no success would be to unplug both the main power and remove the battery overnite. Do not replace the RAM or battery in the morning.
    Plug it in and power it up and see if it beeps.
    If so power down...unplug it and replace the RAM. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and plug it back in and power up...you may get lucky.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kimmiesue38

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 11:30:36 PM »
    Thanks for the tips.  Thankfully it is a company computer so it would just be given to them to fix. We just wanted to fix it if we could.   (Nobody is allowed on my computer.)  lol  I'll try your tips tonight.  Again Thanks!

DrBehavior

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
    Have you tried rebooting it from the original Boot disk or in the 'safe' mode?

Deerpark

Egghead
      « Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 03:41:27 AM »
      DrBehavior please remember to read the thread before making suggestions... how is the user going to boot in safe mode when the computer can't boot at all?
      Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)