Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Steal This Wi-Fi  (Read 17984 times)

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Steal This Wi-Fi
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
Nah, I've  been out of the music business for a while. Now I just teach English and run my computer shop.  :)

I actually haven't worked on any music in quite a while, maybe 6 months. I think it's time to get started again.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 01:51:28 PM »
Whatever it is, I don't see how having your wallet on your arm even comes close to having an unsecured wireless in principle. I'd say its more like having a bag of chips on the table at a superbowl party. Anyone can have some, but don't take the whole thing. ;D

Using this analogy how's your Bank Account lookin these days ? ?
Can anyone have some ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

gamerx365

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 02:23:37 PM »
So how does having unsecured Wi-Fi put you/your computer in danger?

I live on a little hill in like, nowhere with the neighbors way far away so i wont have to worry about that, but just wondering.

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 02:30:23 PM »
Using this analogy how's your Bank Account lookin these days ? ?
Can anyone have some ?
My bank account is secured and I access it over a secure, SSL, connection. It's not like a bag of chips. :P

So how does having unsecured Wi-Fi put you/your computer in danger?

I live on a little hill in like, nowhere with the neighbors way far away so i wont have to worry about that, but just wondering.
Having an unsecured wireless network increases your risk slightly more than being connected to the internet. It's something that has been argued about for years and will be argued for many more years.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 05:09:54 PM »
Look, even I[/i] run around rural areas looking for wifi signals so I can check my email.

Now, had I happened to connect to your network, and had I suddenly seen all of your workgroup folders, one of which contained that little file that had your credit card number written down, what would happen?
(Not that I am able, mentally, to steal such a number and abuse it or anything, but, point still exists)

Many people just run around searching for signals. Some of those people have bad intentions. Secure it!

gamerx365

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 05:14:36 PM »
1) whats a workgroup folder?
2) why would anyone write the CCard number down in a file in it?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »
1) whats a workgroup folder?
2) why would anyone write the CCard number down in a file in it?
1) A Workgroup Folder is a folder shared across anyone connected to your network

2) Its upsetting how many people wouldn't even encrypt it. Yes, many people do it. But, lets say its other information. For example, what if I found information that would slowly lead up to finding your personal information? Eg: I find something titling where you work, how old you are, (a job application, for example), perhaps the last four digits of your SSN are on there, and other random information.

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 03:16:13 AM »
Analogy was the one I was looking for... And excuse the poor wallet analogy, I like the bag of chips one better now :P

"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

SilentAssasin64

Apprentice

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:21 AM »
I'm gonna sit outside Silent's house with my laptop and steal his internet.  :P

Go ahead =]. 
Back In The Game

Emiel

Intermediate

• Los Illuminados = a bunch of *ssholes!
    « Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 03:32:31 AM »
    Whenever I talk or write about my own security setup, the one thing that surprises people -- and attracts the most criticism -- is the fact that I run an open wireless network at home. There's no password. There's no encryption. Anyone with wireless capability who can see my network can use it to access the internet.

To me, it's basic politeness. Providing internet access to guests is kind of like providing heat and electricity, or a hot cup of tea. But to some observers, it's both wrong and dangerous.

Continued.....
    http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2008/01/securitymatters_0110

My thoughts exactly.. :)
    Mine too. It's nice to provide guests with internet access, but he/she should consider the risks of a random *sshole who hacks into the system.
    Date Registered:  November 28, 2007, 3:14:43 PM (07:14:43 AM in Utah)

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
      Like leaving your car doors unlocked.  With the keys in the ignition.  Parked in the dark corner of the parking lot.
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 01:10:06 PM »
      Like leaving your car doors unlocked.  With the keys in the ignition.  Parked in the dark corner of the parking lot.

not really

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 01:17:59 PM »
      I don't think that's a bad analogy actually.

To carry on the trend: it's like connecting to the internet unprotected, in the sense that it's dangerous.  You won't get a virus from not securing your connection, but why offer it out for free for people to do what they like with it?
      The type of people who are going to be stealing your connection are most likely the type of people to do other illegal things once they've logged onto it.
      Guess who gets the blame?
      Clue: it's not them, they're long gone.

If you have a wireless network, secure it as well as you are able.  Simple as that.  Unless of course you have a very good reason, e.g. you're in the middle of nowhere, you're a charitable organisation who has money and net access to burn, etc.

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
        • Yes
      « Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 01:54:37 PM »
      I have security on my setup at home, but I give my guests passwords.  What I don't want is neighbor freeloaders (i live in an apartment) ripping off my internet and not purchasing their own.

michaewlewis

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 01:57:39 PM »
      If you have an unsecured connection and somebody uses it for illegal purposes, all you would have to say in court is that the network is open and anybody could have done it. If you have a secured connection and someone does the same (by breaking your encryption), it will be a lot harder to explain.

The people who want to do illegal things are more likely go to a public place like Starbuck's or an airport instead of sitting in front of someone's house in a lawn chair. It's easier to go unnoticed that way. And do you think Starbuck's is ever held responsible for anything illegal done over their wireless? I doubt it.