Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can Not Start Windows (XP Media Center Edition 2005)  (Read 4542 times)

Jimmy058910

Can Not Start Windows (XP Media Center Edition 2005)
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »
Hi,

I get the:
"Sorry for the inconvenence but windows can not start" with the option; safe mode, last know config. and run windows normally.

I try them all, get the same result... which is a quick flash of BSOD and then restarts.

Now, I have a Toshiba A105-S4114 and it didn't come with a copy XP Media Center 2005 so I am really unsure how to get this to boot back up just ONCE more for me save all my important files.

I've done some research and couldn't find a solution to this anywhere unless I had that XP Media Center cd.

I was looking into, Ultimate Boot CD and things of that nature, but doesn't seem that would help with my issue.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated, and a solution would be a LIFE SAVER, trust me!

THANKS!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Can Not Start Windows (XP Media Center Edition 2005)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 11:57:14 PM »
One solution would be to grab one of these:

This will allow you to hookup the laptop hard drive to a desktop IDE connector where you can copy/burn your files...
Also you may be able to create your Media Center Restore CD which will take the laptop back to Day One status...
Warning ! You will lose all your data and any programs installed after you bought the machine.

You will need to check Toshiba's site for instructions on accessing the hidden partition that contains the Restore files.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jimmy058910

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
Ah yes, never would have thought of that.

Seems like a hassle to buy and wait for shipping and take apart everything, but thank god that there is a for sure safe route for my files and stuff!

Btw, my laptop did come with a "Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD" which would restore to "Out of Box State" so at least that won't be a problem.

Is there annny other route to solving this issue?

Thanks a lot patio!

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
Any computer store in your area should have these...about 8 to 10 bucks so why wait for shipping ?
Most laptop drives are not too difficult to remove...usually it's an access panel with one or 2 screws.

It's the safest solution for retrieving your data since the system will not boot.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Jimmy058910

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:50:32 AM »
So I got the part, and I am trying to get the adapter off the end of the Toshiba laptop harddrive to expose the 44 pins on the end of it, and CAN NOT get it off for the life of me.

Honestly, it's going to end up being broken, any tips?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
    • Yes
    • Technology News and Information
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 07:22:38 PM »
The drive should basically slide out, there might be a pull tab. Verify that you have removed all the screws. If you have a digital camera, you might consider taking a photo so we get a better idea of what is going on.

Image:
http://support.gateway.com/s/manuals/mobile/8508773/images/450sx4hd.jpg

Jimmy058910

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
I have the harddrive out already, but in order to get that adapter from my laptop hd to the desktop ide I need to expose the 44-pins on my laptop hd, and from doing research, seems like the store bought laptops all have adapters on the end of those pins.

I will be posting a photo if that wasn't clear enough, sorry, but have a busy day :(

Thanks for the help!