Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer is slowing down  (Read 8664 times)

Computer_Commando

Re: Computer is slowing down
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 03:01:17 PM »
...Maybe the fan blows it in?

That's right!!!

John Chain

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »
I am not sure of the hard drive that I have. It came with the computer, that's all I know. I don't have the Windows 98 disk or the computer manual (I should have saved those).

As for the dust, yeah that's what I expected, the fan.

Any other suggestions for removing it?

Computer_Commando

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 06:37:50 PM »
Blow it out any way you can.
These are nice.

kaplan

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 07:09:18 AM »
Hi

I am not sure if dust can really slow your PC. But one way or the other, it's good to clean them out. Dust always finds its way to anywhere!  :o

Perhaps you need to look into your harddrive. Use scandisk (or chkdsk.) and don't forget to cleanup the registry, because if you have too much junks left in the registry, it will slow down your PC.

Hope this help.

K

kaplan

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 07:20:09 AM »
BTW, forgot to mention, most softwares are really sloppy, when you uninstall softwares they always left a trail of junks behind in the registry, over a period of time, your registry is pilling up with unwanted data and slows down the PC. There is a very good freeware you can down load from CNET, it's call RegClean. Just delete every piece of unneeded junk. You can also download SystemMechinic a trial version, not a freeware, It can defrag the registry.
K

Neil

Expert
  • Fear me Track. Noone can escape my wrath.
    « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2005, 10:36:49 AM »
    *Blocked Russian URL*/english.html
    Get diskspeed from here to see how fast your harddrive is. (I have not tested this myself)

I did not mean to patronise your knowledge of computers and I am sorry if anything I said seemed like that.

John Chain

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2005, 06:23:23 PM »
    No problem Neil, I just want you guys to not waste time writing half a page on adware. As for the dust, I will try to blow it out, I don't want to touch anything with my fingers. I think dust can slow your computer because it interupts with signals being transfered through the hardware.

John Chain

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2005, 06:29:24 PM »
    About the diskspeed thing, it gave me an overall score of 1521, what does that mean?

Linear read: 22.0499 MB/Sec

Random Read: 1.7464 MB/Sec

Neil

Expert
      « Reply #23 on: January 07, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »
      It means your harddrive is faster than mine!
      Score: 1119
      Linear read: 9.5mb/s
      Random read: 1.9mb/s

John Chain

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2005, 04:50:13 PM »
      No way! My computer is an old  piece of ****. Sorry for my language. I wish they posted an average standard or something like that.

Neil

Expert
        « Reply #25 on: January 08, 2005, 07:32:54 AM »
        Maybe it's the utility? I could swear I got a higher speed on another one... I've got a newish harddrive as well!

John Chain

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2005, 08:57:17 AM »
        Yeah that's what I figured. Do you know of any disk speed readers that come with sample average scores. Because if it just gives me a score, I just have no clue what it means.

merlin_2

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2005, 03:42:28 PM »
        save data to disk or website or cdr/w and format the hard drive...............(spring clean it)have you checked msconfig ___________typed in the run box to find out whats doing what??
        « Last Edit: January 08, 2005, 03:42:54 PM by merlin_2 »