Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP boots up but has a blank (black) screen.  (Read 2963 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
XP boots up but has a blank (black) screen.
« on: January 13, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »
I hope this is a softeware problem but I don't know.    I am using a HP pavilion  dv9009nt laptop, with windows XP.  It is about one year old.  Sometimes when I turn it on,  ,it seems to boot up but the screen remains totally blank.  The hard drive is busy doing something, according to the indicator, but who knows what?  Turning it off and then on again has no effect.  The only thing that seems to work is to shut it off, disconnect the power cord,  remove the battery, wait 30 seconds then replace the battery and try again.  This usually works, not always.   One time it was doing that and i walked away for about an hour.  When I came back to it, it was working perfectly.   Does any one have any ideas re this problem. ??  Thanks in advance.    JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: XP boots up but has a blank (black) screen.
    « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 12:22:09 PM »
    It's not a software problem, with the symptoms you describe it is definitely a hardware problem.
    From your description it could sound like a problem with the screen or the graphics card.
    If you got one, you can try connecting the laptop to an external monitor and see if it will give you a picture when the laptop screen is blank.
    But the laptop will need to be serviced in order to fix this problem. Is it still under warranty?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 01:29:11 PM »
    Sounds to me as if that battery is ready to or has failed and is interrupting the normal flow of AC power to the machine...how old is the battery and does it get unusually hot ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »
    DEERPARK:
    I was afraid of that.  I will try to connect it to an external  monitor.  It is a laptop and it is about 13 months old.  Out of warrenty.

PATIO:    I have tried to run it without the AC power connected (once it boots  properly) and it operates for at least 30 min. on battery.   I will give it a more stringent test, however.

Thanks to both of you guys.   You have helped  me in the past.    JIM
    You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,