Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing a video card on a MB with onboard video  (Read 2887 times)

Pharmakon

Installing a video card on a MB with onboard video
« on: January 13, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »
I am trying to install a Raedon X1300 Pro 256MB PCI-E onto my board that has a Raedon Xpress 200 chipset. I have the most recent ATI drivers with Catalyst Control Center installed. When I put the card in, I was getting a lot of green lines that seemed to be shadows of things that were already on the screen. I removed the card, made sure no dust was in the PCI-E slot, reinstalled, and got the same thing. I tried some of the suggestions on the main CH site, but to no avail. I have a haunting suspicion that it's a bad card (eBay), but wanted to check here first JUST in case it's not!  Any suggestions?

P4 3.0gHz
2gig DDR2-667
Windows XP

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Installing a video card on a MB with onboard video
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »
The best way to determine if it's actually the card at fault is to install it in another machine; install the drivers and see if it does the same thing...if so it's the card.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Pharmakon

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
Thanks. I just might have a hard time finding another comp with PCI-E. No one I know has it :)

I should have also mentioned that the card itself was loose in the slot. It came out very easily, which is something I've never experienced with a regular PCI slot before. Is this normal or should the card sit a little more firmly in the slot?

Soviet_Genius

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 08:45:23 PM »
On my computer when I installed my video card (also PCI-E) I had to push it in until it clicked into place. Maybe you're not pushing it in all the way?

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 10:32:23 PM »
Did you reinstall the ATI drivers or just try to use the drivers that were already on the computer for the on-board ATI card?

I suggest you try uninstalling the driver, inserting the card, then reinstalling the ATI Catalyst driver after you've booted into Windows with the new card.